Wanting to buy great shooting glasses

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Wanting to buy great shooting glasses

Post by opencountry »

Hey fellas,
Would someone point me to a premium brand of shooting glasses? I’m looking for a very nice set of glasses that will help define the target under all condition. I figure many of you competition shooters have been down this road, so I thought I’d ask for suggestions.
I’m currently wearing a fairly cheap pair of yellow non-prescription shooting glasses; I want to upgrade.
Thanks,
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
Ray Newman

Re: Wanting to buy great shooting glasses

Post by Ray Newman »

I have been wearing the Decot Hy-Wd prescription shooting glasses since the late 1990's. I need a yearly eye exam and I just send the frames and lenses and new Rx to Decot. Decot grinds new lenses, pops them into the old frames, and returns the old lenses and the new lenses in the old frames in about 10-14 days. Various colors available.

For pistol shooting, I have a bifocal ground in the right lens so I can see the pistol sights.

https://www.decot.com/
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
steveu834

Post by steveu834 »

For rifle shooting I highly recommend the Junker rifle frames. They ain’t cheap, but they keep the lens centered in front of your eye, offhand or prone. As far as all condition's, are you using irons or a scope? If irons, I suggest you get some cheap readers to get the front sight I focus, and live with the blurry target. You can control some of the target with an adjustable appature. For a scope I use a - diopter to bring my distance vision in sharper. It’s a very slight correction. You can get them from International Shooters Service @ (817) 595-2090. Best thing about them is that they are fixed frames, unlike the Knobloch or Champions which will come loose at some time.

Cheers,
Steve
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thank you, Ray and Steve. I have 20/20 still at seventy-four, but just need a better glass than I’m using and a selection of colors for changing conditions.
Thanks again,
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I’m using Oakley glasses. They’re polarized which greatly enhances the definition your eye can pick up. Couple caveats here…

1, I’m shooting a DZ scope, no irons anymore for me. Like you, my vision is very good, but I noticed that the targets at the Q got greyed out quickly and became very hard to see with iron sights. If you’re on the 3rd relay, this can be a problem. No such issue with the DZ.

2, not all polarized glasses are the same. There are different types of polarizing. The one I use the most is actually for fishing (helps you see through the water), but I suspect that the best type may be a different one I got that’s more of a pink hue, but still does a good job blocking out blue light.

They aren’t cheap at $240 or so a pair, but they do have replaceable lenses so you can switch back and forth between different shades if you like. Most importantly, they work. If you have a hard time seeing the target, you’ll have a hard time hitting it too.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I use prescription glasses from my optometrist. They have yellow lenses which greatly allows the light in for us iron sight shooters while blocking the glare. They are bifocals (adjusted for astigmatism which readers are not) so I can adjust the tang sight without having to take off the glasses and put on readers. I tried that and it's way too slow and cumbersome. I can see far and near with the bifocals and can see the target during cloudy or low light settings just fine with the yellow lens color. The glasses are made of a safety glass material that won't shatter. Highly recommend the yellow over regular dark sunglasses. I have a Kowa down scope and I don't have to take off the glasses to see through it. My yellow glasses are nice in the pits where the lighting changes in brightness a lot from looking around in the pits then looking out at the bright berm... especially good for the Byers pits where they are enclosed and dark inside with a real bright window to look out of.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've got a pair of the Decot glasses also. I found that the light rose colored lenses brought out the black silhouette targets the last years I shot irons. I could not have shot irons without them. I've had cataract surgery since then so I need new lenses. I was shooting today and I can see the front sight again. What a difference. That was with clear lenses on an overcast day with a black target.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"