Re: Wyoming shooting complex

Post by Don McDowell »

Been a few years but think it was the Rattlesnake Range
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Latest news on the Wyoming complex.

Is 3 cities are in the race, one of the significant requirements was plenty of central RV parking. Cody, Casper and Gillette are the 3 candidates. Gillette by far leads in the requisites laid out so far. One of our county’s commissioners is leading in this campaign. A area 6 miles long on the eastern side of the city tied in with the Complex is the area that would be considered for the build.

Just what happens remains to be seen. Depending on the year it might be open 5-6 months mid May to Mid October.

I tend to agree that the monies could be better spent on improving current facilities, however that only benefits the locals and won’t bring in much more. One range in particular at Worland would undoubtedly benefit from such.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Worland would definetly put some grant money to good use

What sort of ranges are being planned for in the Gillette plan and would the land remains in city ownership or would it transfer to the state
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Does Kingman, AZ still have a 1,000 yard range with pits?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I think the current mojavesportsmansclub.com only has steel and only at 1,000 basically for bold guns, as far as I know.
I think Mojave County primarily is High Desert.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Hey SEMTAV, Gillette has an airport, a nearby landfill and is close to the Montana Border, what's not to like?
Plus sounds like a large chunk of land.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

round and round she goes where it lands nobody knows.....
https://cowboystatedaily.com/2024/03/12 ... g-complex/
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Good to see they have B/P considerations in mind.

The shooting complex could include ranges for extreme long-distance rifle shooting, pistol shooting, tactical three-gun matches, black powder, trap and skeet, archery and more.

I suppose it could mean anything from a 100,200 yard Muzzle Loader range or a full 1000 yard course.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I found an article where Park county was looking towards Olympic trap bunkers with the money.
It will be interesting to see what the "committee" comes up with , political and good ol boy stuff is going to play large.
Then it'll come down to whether or not the legislature will release funds, or will they scrap the whole thing and put more money into other important things like the gender studies program at UW and the like... If they don't need to take that money back to cover the cost of the spend fest they just got thru with in the budget this past friday night... Plus there could and likely will be a turn over in many of the legislative seats in the election this year.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I emailed that Rattlesnake range and got one back saying they were forwarding my email to the long range guy, but no response in over a week now. Not holding my breath… At least you guys in Wyoming have a punchers chance of getting a nice range built.

As things sit, looks like I’ll be driving to Ben Avery every January, Forsyth in the spring, and one other good match later in the year (hitting Kenny’s match this Labor Day).
R Moritz

Post by R Moritz »

Hello,
I have shot at the Rattle Snake Range near Tri-cities Washington. The 1,000-yard range is nice and well cared for. I think there are 10 or 12 firing points. They plan to build a 500-meter silhouette range but I am unaware of the schedule. Multiple disciplines shoot on the 1,000-yard range F-Class, Palma BPTR, etc. The range is very challenging and equal in difficulty to Raton. It does not appear to me that they are short on land.

Cheers
Rick Moritz
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

I hope Tri-Cities does move forward with their plans for a silhouette range. It would be in a terrific location a garner a decent shooting crowd.
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

I used to shoot a Rattlesnake a lot (several years). Both mid and long-range BPTR Creedmoor stuff. The wind does blow there. There is a master plan for range development for Rattlesnake, and it contains specs for silhouette range. A few years back, I was involved with the push to get it built. But our efforts hit a brick wall, the site intended for the silhouette range would require shutting down the long range while silhouette range was in use. The long-range site is in use most if not all weekends. The long-range shooters thru a fit over any possible closure. So, the silhouette range is a nonstarter.

The number shooters showing up for BPTR match dwindled over time until there just 2 of use left, not much fun. So, we stop going. I now hear they have installed electronic target boards for the high-power guys and they would not appreciate 45 caliber black powder bullets smashing into the sensors. So, reviving the BPTR match is out of the question.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

That would explain why I still don’t have any response from them.

If the Wyoming range gets built, I’ll make it a point to drive there to compete if there’s a BPTR match. The only way to avoid getting booted out of ranges is to have sufficient numbers of shooters showing up. If there’s a low turnout at the Wyoming range, it’s a safe bet that BP will get done away with there too.
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

I would drive there for BPCR Silhouette matches for sure.