Baldwin/Kelly/MVA..Which sight do you like best and why?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

J.D.Cayhill

Baldwin/Kelly/MVA..Which sight do you like best and why?

Post by J.D.Cayhill »

I know this is kind of a Ford versus Chevy thing but I need some opinions. I am pretty much a newbie to this shooting discipline and have been looking for a long range soule that I can use on both a Browning BPCR in 40-65 and the No.1 Sporter in 45-90 that I just ordered. The sight on the Browning has served OK, but I would like to step up to a more quality sight. For the time being I would want to purchase one sight and a extra base for the Shiloh and swap the sight between the two rifles. At a later date when my wallet recovers I would probably purchase a second sight.

So which one of the sights list above would lend itself best to double duty? I have read the strong points on each, but which one is the most simple to change between bases without having to reinvent the wheel?
Rdurk

Post by Rdurk »

JD, you will get a lot of "Ford Vs. Chevy" responses to this one. I just got my new #1 sporter (EXtra fancy wood; AAA finish; Bone & Charcoal cc; pewter tip; steel shotgun butt plate) .. with a Kelley Soule. I like it very much. Color cased .. looks great, and is very easy to read and adjust. I went to Atlanta back two months ago to shoot a mid range match with two Shiloh shooters .. who loaned me a 40-65 for the match. They had Kelley soule's on all of their rifles. In one case switching from an MVA to a Kelley because for him it was easier to read & adjust. Can't go wrong with a Kelley in my opinion.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi guys, I am not sure about the Kellys, but I know for a fact that J.C. Gier at MVA and Steve Baldwin of Baldwin sights stand behind their products 150% if anything should happen to go wrong!!!!

Kirk Bryan
Rick Crabtree

Post by Rick Crabtree »

I have used several sights over the last 30 years on these old guns. None has impressed me more than the Hoke sight.
But the other you mentions are fine sights as well.
" I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

JD, I have MVA, Hoke , Kelly, and Parts unknown sights on my gun(s). All of these are quality sights and one couldn't go wrong with any of these. The Kelly is the best looking sight by far with its case coloring and gives a pretty darn good looking sight picture-at least to me. The Hoke has an easy to read elevation staff and has an incredible range of windage for such a narrow sight. One has to be careful however because you move the windage a LOT with small tweeks on the windage knob. It also has a screw built in to keep the sight knobs tight. The Parts Unknown sight is probably the best buy for the money and one can make some very small adjustments on the elevation(1/10 of a minute) which can come in handy on a target like the ram with a small vertical orientation. The numbers on the elevation staff are a little small and can be a little hard to see sometimes and adjustments on the elevations take a little longer for whatever reason (gearing?). Having said all of this my overall favorite is probably MVA. The sight picture is good and I seem to be able to adjust it better and quicker-maybe just because this is what I started with and more familiar with this sight. I haven't had any problems with my MVA's but as Kirk mentioned above, I've heard many people praising their warranty. You really can't go wrong with any of these sights. Try to find some other shooters with varying sights and check them out. Good luck!
T. Rebel
Chairman
Terrapin Creek FES
deerhuntsheatmeup

all three

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I have used all three and would not be scared to order any of them, period. I will suggest that, in my opinion, the Baldwin spirit level front is a must. After you buy yourself a Soule sight, look into a Baldwin front sight and don't look back. FWIW

Good Luck, David Barfield
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

I have owned and shot MVA, Baldwin and Kelley. The top 2 in my book are the MVA and Baldwin, although like Taz says the Kelly has the best looks. Personally I have shot my best groups with the MVA. I eventually sold my Kelley and went back to an MVA on my No. 1. I think Baldwin has the best windage adjustment - hands down. His sight is like a Swiss watch! It's just that my spotter and I are used to the MVA adjustments. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Baldwin though. I've never heard any serious complaints about either the MVA or Badwin - can't say that for the Kelley or the Parts Unknown. I wish MVA would come out with that a case color hardened base. Maybe I could send my MVA base to Kirk and get it case hardened to match my Shiloh...Hmmmmmm...man that would be sweet!!!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

For the money I don't think you can beat Ron Heillman's sights. For a lot of discussion on his sights, just use the search button above and look for Ron Heilman.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Seen a Kelley fall apart at Raton,

Seen MVA step up to the plate, and supply the shooter with one of their sights.

I have owned Parts unknown also. Quality was not what I expect even at a lesser price. It was sold

Go to any major match, say Raton for example, MVA donates $2500 in sights to the Nationals. Sad to say that no one else is even a sorry second place.

Quality and support, MVA leads the rest. Their eyecup is the best period, Take a look at the winners, its a MVA or a Baldwin.

That tells alot in its self.

The service of MVA is like their support, not even a close second is anyone else.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

MVA
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

All my Shilohs now have MVA buffalo soules and MVA 113 fronts on them. Yea Kenny you finally got to me buddy :lol:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Jeff,

It was bound to happen, good sights are what one needs on these high quality rifles and put anything less on them looks tacky. The MVA delivers on the firing line, plan and simple.

I was impressed with Rdnk's mega soule from Parts unknown.

Good to see you pard.

Kenny Wasserburger

PS buffalo Cannon good to see you too Steve!
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Kenny, you going to make it to Harlan's and Wendy's shoot in August? wwben47 and I are going to be there. Were driving up to Big Timber first and if your not going to the shoot maybe we'll catch you at home.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
J.D.Cayhill

Post by J.D.Cayhill »

Thanks for the info. I do plan on going to the first match possible and getting a look at as many sights as I can first hand. It sounds like MVA and Baldwin are rock solid performers, and Kelly and Hoke deserve a good look also. This really helps.
Sharpsnut

Post by Sharpsnut »

Gents,

I like Baldwins because I believe they adjustments form sight to sight(especially the windage) are smoother and more precisely fitted.

The lefthanded adjustments on a Baldwin don't bother me a bit because it's what I learned on.

As to Baldiwn supporting both the BPCR sport and the buyers of his sights in terms of service,I have the following to say-

Steve Baldwin gives every bit the PERCENTAGE of the total $$$ amount of sights he sells (compared to other companies) BACK to the sport in terms of prizes.

This I know for a fact.

Also, if a Balwin sight breaks,repair,adjustments and spare parts(most of the time FREE) are only a phone call away.

MVAs are polished prettier,but there is NO soule sight on the line better built than Steve Baldwin's...
:wink: