QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

James M

QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER

Post by James M »

www.deepdiscountdvd.com sells QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER
for $9.36 net delivered price :)
(I'm not affilated with deepdiscountdvd)
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

Well, I just bought it for $10.99 at Best Buy. That's actually the first time I've ever seen the whole movie. Before he bounces that bucket over the hill, when he's talking about the rifle to Alan Rickman, he says:

"...it's converted to use a special .45 caliber 110 grain metal cartridge with a 540 grain paper patch bullet."

Isn't a paper patch bullet what one would use in an 1863? And what DOES the -70, -90, -110 etc. mean after the .45? Is it really the weight of the case? I assumed it referred to length of the case, like 7.62 x 51. Or is it the black powder capacity of each case? Seems like I should know this if I'm going to buy one.........

that scene was a little free with the cheddar, if you get my drift. However, Alan Rickman had the good taste to be in two movies featuring excellent weapons: the other was Die Hard, in which as Hans Gruber he carried an H&K P7M13 in hard chrome.
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Hey there woodpuppy, Ok here ya go--Quigley used a '74 not a 63-- and the -90 refers to the nominal powder charge used in that particular cartridge--Now here I go starting something again--the Sharps' company cartridges should actually be listed as 45-2.1 or 45-2.6 etc, because there were different powdwer charges used in the case--hence IMHO--all the recent "confusuion" over the 45-120----It was a 45-2 and 7/8's inch case with 120 grains of powder--but in our "nail it down to a gnats a-- society we call it the 45-110---and there in lies the trouble with all those who say Frank Meyer used a 3 and 1/4 inch case--he didn't he loaded 120 grains of powder in a 2 and 7/8 inch case--so yes he did shoot a 45-120 but I gaurentee he used a 2 and 7/8 inch case---anyway--the 63's are a breacl loader that takes either loose powder or a paper cartridge and the 74's were metalic--and if this confuses you even more--welcome to the club!! :lol: --Seriously tho I hope it helped and there are a lot of good people here with much more detailed knowledge than I and I am sure they will jump in and help too!
Rich
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Woodpuppy:

I beleive it to be the about of powder loaded in the case. (110 grains of powder) The shell he discribed would aka. 45-110-540.

.45 caliber
110 gtains of powder
540 grain bullet

The 45-110 brass is also designated as the 45 2 7/8 or 45 caliber 2 7/8 inch brass. It is a Black Powder Cartridge discription unlike the smokeless powder cartradge discription. The 7.62X 51, 9X19, are Nato discriptions of the caliber and the length of shell.

I'm sure there will be other answers to this question.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Woodpuppy, a paper patched bullet is different from a paper cartridge in that the lead projectile is cased so to speak with a paper jacket. the paper cartridge on the other hand doesn't use a brass case to hold the powder, the powder is held in a piece of nitrated paper that is tied around the base of the bullet, and this piece of paper holds the powder charge. When the breech is closed on this type of cartridge it shears off the tag end of the paper ctg, and then a priming cap is placed on the nipple, and the rounds is fired. This type of cartridge could also use a paper patched bullet, but not usually. Hope this helps to sort out any confusion. Randy
Randy Ruwe
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

the fog is dispersing........

thanks for the replies, I gotta say I'm enjoying this forum. It may prove to be the most helpful one I've joined yet! Except for that whole shelling out $2k to be a REAL member...... :wink:
FFG

Post by FFG »

In a perfect world there would be :
[b]Quigley II[/b]

Come on Tom, make another movie.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Yeah Tom, I wanta see what happens when you and Gina get back to Wyoming!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
SteveA

Post by SteveA »

Gina???? I thought her name was Crazy Cora :wink:
Anyway, the movie is scheduled for this thursday night on the Hallmark channel for those of you lucky enough to have cable.