For those that shoot, "Creedmore", matches

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

For those that shoot, "Creedmore", matches

Post by Texas Shooter »

For those that shoot, "Creedmore", matches, would you mind explaining the Creedmore match as it is shot today, and what rifles are used for the event.

On the Shiloh web site, they list offering two different Creedmore rifles and I have heard discussed a #3 Creedmore rifle as well. What types of matches are shot with the different rifles? Are the different rifles available just for personal preference?

The only distictive difference I have seen is the single trigger with double trigger NOT and option, otherwise there are a ton of variations possible.

I appreciate the time people have spent in mine/our education.

Best Regards and thanks.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
MLV

Post by MLV »

Today's NRA Long Range matches are on paper targets at 800, 900, and 1000 yards. The target's black bullseye is 44 inches in diameter with a 20 inch 10 ring and a 10 inch X ring.

Rifles can weigh up to 15 pounds and have double set triggers. Muzzle loaders are allowed also. You have 30 minutes to fire 10 score shots with unlimited sighters beforehand. However, when you say you're going for score you are committed and cannot go back to firing sighters.

Rifles for original Creedmoor matches in the 1870s could weigh no more than 10 pounds and have single triggers with pull weight of no less than 3 pounds. I have an original Long Range #2 and its trigger pull is still exactly 3 pounds.

A rifle that meets the original Creedmoor rules can be used in modern Long Range, but it probably would not be competitive with the heavier rifles with set triggers. That is unless the shooter was one heck of a fine shot.

Back in 1993 I had Shiloh build me an original styled Creedmoor in .45-90 but at every shot recoil would knock my ear protectors off. Kirk rebarreled it for me to .40-65 and it was a dream then.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

MLV:

Thanks for the interesting information.

Would thet mean that the ,"Creedmore", rifles offered now are just for show and not really competitive in the new, "Creedmore" competition?

They are very nice to look at, I just figured that they were used for a specific type of competition.

Thanks a ton for the information.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
dbm

Creedmoor NOT Creedmore

Post by dbm »

Sorry if I appear 'picky' and it's a spelling mistake made by many, but the correct spelling is Creedmoor.

The land the famous 19th century rifle range was built on was formerly owned by the Creed family and know as Creed's Farm. With it's moorland like appearance the name "Creedmoor" was happened upon.

The gentleman credited with coining the now famous appellation is Colonel Henry Glenville Shaw. He was actively involved in the organisation of the National Rifle Association and was a member of the range committee.

David
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

dbm:

Thanks for the correction, I should have known that. Do you know the answer to the second post I made to MLV?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Looking @ the two Creedmoor models, I also observed from the “Customize Now” feature, that the #2 is only available w/ a 30” round tapered barrel; the 1874 Creedmoor has a 32” standard octagon & other lengths & weight are options for that model.

As to your second question & if I’m reading it correctly, the only way to answer it would be to compare the Creedmoor/LR match rifle specifications w/ the two different models offered by Shiloh.

Could it be that one is a copy of the original Creedmoor rifle design for the traditional-minded shooter; the other designed to meet today’s Creedmoor/LR match criteria?

Seems to me that whatever rifle met /meets the specifications or modern Creedmoor/LR match specifications, it could shoot a Creedmoor/LR match. For example, you don’t need a “silhouette model” rifle to shoot silhouette. You just need one that meets the match criteria.
dbm

Post by dbm »

Texas Shooter,

Sorry can't answer your second question. Although I dabble with BPCR my primary interest is long range muzzle loading. There should be plenty of others here beter able to answer you.

David
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Ray Newman:

Thanks for the email and the information. The Creedmoor rifles are beautiful, but it's also fun to be competitive. Therefore, I can't imagine giving up double set triggers for a single 3 pound just for authenticity. Too bad the double triggers aren't handicapped, or in their own class.

Oh well, I appreciate all the responces.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
MLV

Post by MLV »

Dear Texas Shooter: Just for the information of those that think a single trigger would be a handicap, Butch Ulsher of Butte Montana, who has won the National Championship for NRA Long Range twice shoots a Hepburn with single trigger. And its not a special "hair" trigger either. Also his Hepburn is the same one that is light enough to make Silhouette weight also.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

MLV:

Thanks for the post.

Wow! He is obviously is a very talented marksman.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"