Magma Engineering Co.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

James M

Magma Engineering Co.

Post by James M »

Has anyone had any experence
with the MASTER CASTER from Magma Engineering Co. ?
http://www.magmaengr.com/item.php?id=33
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

there was an article in the" fouling shot " put out by the cast bullet association on that machine ,it was good but I do not believe you can make the flat base bullet moulds work well in it because they tend to stick in a mould more than do bevel base bullets which it was designed for.........Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

Mooseless Montague is using one of these with what I believe is a modified Brooks mold

How about it Rick, give the guys a report :P
mooseless

Post by mooseless »

Gary is right I am using a Master Caster with a modified Brooks mold. I cast 800 bullets over the weekend and segregated them in groups of +or- 1 grain. I ended up with 3 different groups and only a small handfull that didn't make one of these catagories. I cast for myself and two other shooting buddies it is the only way I can keep up and still keep my real job

Rick
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

James,

I use a Master Caster and you can cast any type of bullet and it is a good system. I cast alot match grade bullets with it, just like any system, a consistant temp is important. I also use an electronic timer to keep a consistant casting pace.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
BigMike

Master Caster

Post by BigMike »

James ~

I purchased a Master Caster in May of 2001. My intension was to be able to cast acceptable bullets in my limited amount of time. I also purchased a blank mold block for the Master Caster and had it shipped to NEI for drilling. I had the block drilled for the NEI 349F bullet. The lead I was originally using was the equivalent hardness to a 20:1 lead/tin mix. This alloy resulted in some fair rounds but often the bullets had some cracks as this alloy proved to be too brittle. I experimented by softening my alloy to a 30:1 lead/tin alloy and this took care of the cracks and increased the number of acceptable rounds per casting session. I still had a weight spread per casting session (about 225 rounds) of about 3 grains and this undesireable spread was mostly because of difficulty keeping a constant lead temperature. I improved on this some by not filling the pot much more than one third full. Another issue for me was that NEI did not drill my mold to the close tolerances that can be achieved by a mold maker like Paul Jones or Steve Brooks. Paul and Steve both declined on the opportunity to drill a blank mold block for my Master Caster. I now am casting bullets with a Paul Jones hand held mold and these bullets are excellent. I believe the Master Caster is a great choice for smaller cast bullets like pistol bullets. My Master Caster is for sale !

BigMike
Sharpsnut

Post by Sharpsnut »

BM,sent you a PM........