Air Rifle Practice

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

taw1126

Air Rifle Practice

Post by taw1126 »

Anyone else practice like this? I'm hoplessly trapped in suburbia with neighbors who would probably frown on live-fire practice. Recently I purchased a limited production Daisy 5-meter target air rifle (I think it's the Model 99...single shot, globe front sight, and "receiver" peep rear; only difference from original version appears to be the added safety), a trap, and some swinging sihouettes to hang in the trap.

Last weekend I got the sights set up using sandbags and an adjustable rest (you might be a gun-nut if...you've ever shot a BB gun from a benchrest) and now I can shoot pretty much all week long without disturbing anybody.

One of the neat things about this Daisy is that it shoots at an extremely low velocity- something on the order of 250 feet per second. Someone may burst my bubble, but it seems like the low velocity will require good/long follow-through that might help in blackpowder shooting. If nothing else it's fun to watch the pig, chicken, turkey, and ram swing around, and it can't do anything but improve my off-hand technique.
Shiloh 1874 Business .50
NRA Life Endowment Member
Member: RooseveltBrowning Hunt Club, Safari Club International, Winchester Arms Collectors Association
Brent

Post by Brent »

Yep, I do that with a Tau model 7 airrifle. I shoot regulation bulls-eye targets at 10 meters though. I use a pellet trap. The little silhouette things are way too easy - even for me. I only shoot offhand this way, but it helps. It would help more if the Tau had a better trigger.

Brent
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Taw, I think you have a good idea. I've been doing the same recently except with a low wall .22 and subsonic ammo. I didn't think I have been flinching with my 45-70 offhand shooting but practice with this .22 has shown me otherwise.
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

I like the Colibri .22lr loads- no powder, just primer. I shoot em out of a 24" CZ bolt action, very quiet. Just make sure they make it out of the barrel!!!!!
Jody Reb

Post by Jody Reb »

I do most of my offhand practicing with a flintlock rifle. Follow through on your shots is a must with the slow lock time of a flintlock. A few years ago I was shooting highpower rifle some and was shooting with the high masters on the offhand scores. The rapid fire techniques was what killed me overall.

For quiet indoor shooting, I think an air rifle would work very well. Any type of practice is better than none.
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

I've been shooting air rifle and air pistol on a regulation range in my basement for abour 20 years. Some friends come over on Wednesday evening and we shoot a 40 or 60 shot match. The long barrel time really does require good follow through and a match air rifle weighs almost as much as a sillouette rifle. Shooting the pistol will teach you trigger control or give you a terrible jerk depending on how hard you work at it.
I do all my shooting offhand. Never tried a bench for airgun.
Freedom Isn't Free

Doug
taw1126

Post by taw1126 »

I wouldn't normally use a benchrest for an air rifle either, but I installed a Lyman 17A insert in the Daisy front globe and couldn't immediately tell where my shots were going after changing the sights. The solid rest ensures that all misses can only be blamed on the shooter...my practice has been offhand or from field-expedient, hunting-type positions.

Brent- without a doubt I need more practice, but I haven't found the silhouettes- especially that tiny chicken- all that easy to hit. I also tend to think of bullseye shooting on about the same terms as running on a track; maybe I'll try to work some of that in too as I'm sure shooting for score could be beneficial.
Shiloh 1874 Business .50
NRA Life Endowment Member
Member: RooseveltBrowning Hunt Club, Safari Club International, Winchester Arms Collectors Association
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

OK all, try this....
Buy a 100 new brass, before you load , size or anything else, just put the primers in. period .. stop!!! Now light a candle, set it about 6 feet in front of the muzzle when you have the rifle shouldered. Using primers only in the new brass, shoot at the candle. The primer puts out enough air pressure to effectively blow out the candle. increase the distance incrementally until it is difficult putting the candle flame out. Use this distance for practice. It will help trigger, breath control as well as holding ability.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Omak Cowboy

candle

Post by Omak Cowboy »

JIM!

What a great idea!

I love low tech solutions to problems. I think they represent a real mind at work...only wish I had one :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Been doing that since i was 2 ! Try shooting at the rope type window caulk ! I have both low and high power and the pellets just stick nose first to that caulk without damage ! Can't figure that out ! JAGG
JAGG