No Competition!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kamotz

Post by kamotz »

O.M.G. ,Who ever started this thread really struck a nerve! Cause all the big dogs are here :shock: All were waiting for now is MLV. Did Kenny already show up? Oh there he is, hhm,this one is for the records,As much as I have learned from many of you cats already, you can look at me from under your bifocals any day.taker easy gents.
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Kelley, right on :!: :) . You couldn't have made a better post if you tried 10 times :shock: :!: . If it weren't for competition people would be having to try and make some type of rifle themselves. We are lucky to have the choices of BP rifle manufacturers that we do, and to have them make such exceptional products, all of them both foreign and domestic is a blessing.

I have been shooting BP for just over 1 year now, and have improved so dramatically that I wouldn't have believed it even 6 months ago. I attribute that to forums like this, the help of fellow shooters at matches, experimentation, reading everything I possibly could, and the fine equipement that is available today for just the very reasons you stated. Thanks Kelley, your friend, Randy
Randy Ruwe
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Folks,
This week will mark the fulfillment of an almost 25 year dream for me. I will own my own Sharps at last! So why am I posting?..Because ALL of you who have fired ONE round thru one of these almost mystical rifles is an expert to me! Until I joined this forum I had no idea how involved loading and shooting these rifles with BP could be.
My point is that for someone like me..who will probably never be an "expert" shooter... those of you who have spent years perfecting the art of hitting something a thousand yards away have shown me that astounding accuracy with these rifles IS possible! The fact that you go out and do it time after time shows me that it CAN be done!
What if I spent the substantial amount of money required for one of these rifles, shot a few terrible groups with BP and there were no forums like this, and no competitions where MOA accuracy is regularly obtained?..I would probably scratch my head, and hang the "show piece" on the wall to gather dust...
But instead..come this deer season I will be in the "booger woods" with my # 3 and will KNOW that because of what each of you has shared with me ..the "plinker", the "hunter", and the competition shooters alike... I will be as well prepared and equipped as any smokeless shooter.
How lucky we all are!
Wes
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
RMulhern

No Competition

Post by RMulhern »

Kelly O.

<<was he being negitive or was it postive, something to think about. >>

Nope! Just playing "Devil's Advocate"! And....it drew some good responses! :lol: :roll: :shock:
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

Sharpsman, I'm only 2 years into BPCR (silhouette) and enjoy this aspect of the shooting sports more than any other I've tried. Help is only a post away on several forums and the answers are clearly stated with usually several opinions on how too and pitfalls to be avoided. I ignore the occasional "flaming" that appears on BP forums as I've yet to meet people at a match that were not willing to help me with a problem, answer a question, or show me why they think that thier rifle is the best or at least the most affordable until they can buy a Sharps, RB, HW, Ballard, etc
of thier choice. The knowledge available to shooters on the BP forums from experienced shooters is invaluble to a beginner like me. I wish that I'd started learning about BP 25 years ago but fully intend become more proficient in load developement, casting, and competition. Attending a match allows me to enjoy the fellowship of those that shoot and enjoy the charms of these fine BP rifles, compare notes, BS, shoot, BS, hopefully come up with a personal best score and BS some more. There are many people that post on these forums that I'd like to meet and hopefully in the next few years I'll get my wish.
horsefly

Post by horsefly »

Good Morning, Board;

I really like the answers given so far and I probably don't have anything much to add, but that has never seemed to stop me before.

The reason I shoot this game is that I like to. Is that good enough? First off I like to shoot. If it goes bang and kicks up dirt, I probably like it. Second off, I like folks that like to shoot because I like to talk about it and I generally find that they are more interesting to be around than the less privileged ones that don't shoot.

Are some of them full of it? Ooooh yeah. But not many.

If you find some of them, feel sorry for them and move on! On here, I think if you feel you have been treated like a second class citizen you're taking it wrong. That has been known to happen.

I am firmly in Coyboy B's corner here (gasp). I happily shoot the game because it makes me a better shooter.

I enjoy telling folks what I know and helping with something. It was done for me and I'm passing it on. Now, if you ask,... I'm going to tell you using silhouette examples and so on because that is the way I know things.

One thing I will not do is look down my nose while I'm doing it because it's uncomfortable and if I do it for very long, I lose my balance and fall on my butt.

Y'all be good.

horsefly
mrrangerman

Post by mrrangerman »

Hello everyone

My Grandfather told me something when I was just a kid that was some of the best advice Iv'e been given.
He said "Danold always listen to what others have to say about things, even if you know how to do something others see it a different way. There ways may be better than your way, you can learn from anyone."

There are years and years of knowlage on this board and I thank each of you for that. Look I just learned how to pull a bullet with my reloading press. How cool is that?

Thanks again
Dan
If you aim at nothing in life, you will hit your target every time.
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Sharpsman,

<<Just playing "Devil's Advocate"!>>

Ah Man and I thought I had some insight on your attutude, ah well.. :roll: Now you be carefull playing the Devil's role you wouldn't want to get burn't. :shock:

Kelley O. 8)
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

I have been following this board for a long time and have just recently become a member and this is my first post.
When I was a young boy I remember reading the Rifleman and wishing that I had one of the big Sharps rifles. The calibers were amazing with the big heavy bullets and the black powder. Some of the stories by Elmer Keith and Sketer Skelton and others to numerous to mention. I had in the back of my mind to have one of those rifles some day and shoot black powder.
I sold an original Winchester 1886 in 45-70 built in 1894 in order to purchase my 74 Shilo. I have to say the shilo was worth every penny. I do not shoot competition with this rifle. I may in time.
I shoot in the Pawnee National Grasslands in north east Colorado. At times I am able to find an unfortunate coyote. And if nothing else after I shoot (45-2.4 with 565 grain Hoch, Black) he will have his ears flat against his head and his tail straight out in a cloud of dust and be looking for his 8 remaining lives. Sure is fun for me just to watch them run after the smoke clears. That makes this rifle worth it to me.
My loading and casting techniques have all come from this board and going over all the information that is available. Most of the questions are the same that I would have had and have been answered in a manner that is understandable. This information has been given freely by people that are not looking down their noses. The only time I get to look down my nose is through bi-focals at the magazines. I believe that this is a great board with a fantastic company sponsoring it. Just keep up the work and the posts are fantastic.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly rifle.
Minnesota AL

Elite shooters

Post by Minnesota AL »

Well, I have seen a few threads a couple months ago about things like the national shoots, how it might be better if folks had to earn a spot at the competition, and not expect to show up for their first shoot of the year and expect to get in.

While I can sympythize with the folks handling a shoot that's getting too big, I really disagree with this proposed treating of untested/unknown shooters as second class.

I feel shooting competition has a heritage that many other sports lacked - that showmanship, take on all comers attitude, and an unknown can challenge a champion (why did so many people like that movie "Rocky"). Was Annie Oakley known nationally until a pro challenged her in her home area (I'm thinking his name was Burns, but it escapes me, they did marry.)

I think we have some marvelous shots out there that don't ply their trade in organized shoots. On the line, everyone's equal.
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Sharpsman, I understand where you're coming from. In several ways my situation is like yours- I have access to my own range but due to the peculiaraties of my work, I'm not able to shoot in an organized competition nearly as much as I would like. We do have several "prickly" individuals on this site but I haven't seen a lot of the attitude you're talking about. Personally, I can't help but pay more attention to someone who has been througe the "fire" of competition.I'm not saying the looking down the nose attitude isn't there- just haven't seen it. I think we can ill afford the attitude you're talking about. Lord knows we have enough with the media and some feelings the non-shooting public have against us to be quarreling amongst ourselves about petty differences. I'm light years away from being a top-notch competitor(but striving like hell to get there) but do feel I can help green, wet-behind-the-ears beginner because it was not long ago I was just starting out and am familiar with some problems they face.. I feel like I'm helping the future of our sport in helping our fellow shooting friends.With all the non shooting folks out there against us we need to do anything in helping someone get started in this sport.
T Rebel
Chairman
Terrapin Creek FES
RMulhern

No competition

Post by RMulhern »

TR

Yep! Seems like the older I get.....the less time I have for doing those things I wanna do because I let work interfere! And....since the Rdnck and Sidri moved to Texas....I'm like the Lonely Maytag Repairman for shooting buddies! Anytime you Miss. Rebs wanna drive over......I've got the range all mowed and the "skitters" sprayed so......load up and come on over! I usually don't have to fly on Sunday! My place is only 60 miles west of Vicksburg off I-20.

Blow smoke! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Coydog B.

Post by Coydog B. »

Ken,

You just name the day, you’ll know where I am, just ask your niece! BTW, If you ever get across the river on the 3rd weekend, why don’t you come down and shoot Miller some time?

Bruce,

Good posting back at you again too! Seems like I’ve been gone too long, maybe too short for some though. I know what you mean by bad days, except that I usually have either bad months, or years, I even have a bad haircut. If nothing else, I’m consistent in either direction.

As for getting kidney shaped wheel weights to shoot, just apply enough pressure! I’ve found that very few problems cannot be solved by the judicious application of pressure! A 3 lb hammer works, but a sledge makes it a lot easier. Funny thing though, my molds don’t seem to last as long as most other folks do.

Hey Horsefly,

How many times do I have to tell you? It’s CoyDOG, D. O. G. that spells dog! CoyBOY, is out in CA with Kelley O. We’re related, but only distant cousins. You guys have really got to do something about the educational system down in TX.

BTW, in case no one told you, NEVER agree with me! It only bolsters my confidence and encourages me to come up with more things to say. Now after that compliment, I may feel free to stop in at your place for dinner sometime.

Trust me, you don't want that.

Later,

Chuck
"Your Mileage May Vary"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Coydog, I've been wanting to shoot Miller, so the next time I visit Missy I'm bringing all the silhouette stuff and maybe we can shoot together. Thanks. I made a bunch of copies of the targets and Gary and I shot them with his new toy "airgun". It was fun.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
horsefly

Post by horsefly »

Good Morning, esteamed Coyperson,

That agree with you thing? It was a SETUP. Don't take it too hard.

Now, about the dinner thing: we've fed the Mad Mexican and his bunch so we like a challenge. Come on by. That's Brownwood, TEXAS, 76801.

Y'all be good.

horsefly