Shooter Box information wanted

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

Shooter Box information wanted

Post by Texas Shooter »

Hello:

My rifle should be here in the next couple of weeks and I need to put a Range/shooters Bag/box together. I you could I am interested in the following specific questions:

1) Where do I acquire a suitable range box? (I don't have the facilities to make one, and I would not be interested in spending $1500 on one of "Doc's")

2) What do you keep in your range box?

3) What would you NOT recommend buying?

I appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Sorry one last thing.

The calibers being shot will be 45-70 for now, but I will be shooting 38-55, 45-110, 50-90 and 50-140 in the near future.

Included in the range box information, I need everything necessary at the range to shoot and maintain my rifle, brass and ???

I am saving for a Kowa sighting scope.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
deerhuntsheatmeup

made my own

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I made my own but the box from Cal Graf looks good as well. You want believe how much stuff you wind up putting in your box. Everything from bottle washers to matches to cleaning fluids to oils to shoulder and elbow pads to good luck charms to witch doctor voodoo trinkets. IMHO I feel that the top tray should be deeper than most of the commercial boxes avaiable. That way you keep more stuff in a portable carry around tray. Instead of carrying the whole box.

My 2 cents, David Barfield
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

TS. I don't have facilities to make on either .. but I laid out measurements for a box to be made from 1*12 lumber (18" wide * 11 " deep * 12 " height), bought a 1 * 12 at the local lumber yard .. and they cut it to measure. Screw & glue it together, with a hinged lid, and you've got a good range box. I did it with oak .. looks great. That holds a bunch of shooting gear, and to go with it .. for BPCR needs, I bought a Cal Graf rifle tote (black walnut). That is perfect for the range for securely holding the rifle, holding cleaning rod, patches, jags, blow tube, solvents, decapper, and a bottle of water/vinegar for dirty brass. Put the range box on a small "hand truck" bought at a luggage store, the rifle tote on top .. with a shock cord .. and you're good to go. Easy to pull all that gear with one hand and carry your rifle case and cleaning rod in the other. One approach..sure there are many. Good shootin.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

deerhuntsheatmeup:

Thanks, I had forgotten about Cal-Graf. The shooting box they have looks real nice.

When I got started in IDPA and IPSC, I quickly realized about 90% of the stuff being sold was so-so, but the people who real know their stuff, for the most part, all used the same equipment. The main exception was the shooters who were sponcered by the big companies. They of course were paid to shoot with specific products.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I also think Gunny makes them, if I'm wrong set me straight.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Omak Cowboy

boxes

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Ken, I don't have one of Gunny's boxes, but I have seen them and he does a beautiful job. I can't recall if they are dovetailed or finger jointed, I think it's dovetail. Pretty stuff.
Laurence
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

To All:

I sent an email to Kirk, Kenny W. and MLV requesting their thoughts on Shooting Boxes, there contents and specific brand recommendations. I am anxious to hear what they like.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"