How about this ?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pcctex

Post by pcctex »

Not to wear out the subject; but here's one more idea....

My loading bench is an old Black & Decker Workmate, one of the early versions that is all metal. I removed all the screw clamp workings and the split top, mounted a 2" thick 24" x 36" plastic laminate covered top, and then mounted my press on the edge. With the legs spread; the unit is very stable. Used the same setup years ago when I shot 50 BMG benchrest. Full length sizing 50 Browning was not a problem on this table. It still folds and goes in the corner when needed.

I do not take credit for this idea. I've used the Workmate for years, but I saw the modifications to a Workmate posted on the internet.

Best of Luck
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

James:

Since I have a Shopsmith and most of the accessories, I made my bench out of 3/4 plywood with a 30 x60 top. Since this is fairly limited space, I made several 7x11 mounting pads out of 3/4 plywood. With 1/4 x20 carrage bolts on each corner, securing the mounting pad to the table, I can quickly interchange presses, such as my shotshell loaders, turret press, and single stage press.

slightly off to the side of my main press, I have made two smaller mounting pads that allow me to interchange my case trimmer and the Lubricator/sizer.

My son, who is also loading in a even smaller space has duplicated my mounting pad system so the two of us have easy interchangeability. When I build my new re-loading shop in the U.P. I plan to duplicate this concept again.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Jody Reb

Post by Jody Reb »

I agree with what Kelly O. said regarding portability. The NRMA bench will come apart by unbolting the carriage bolts from the legs. The bench comes apart in sections: the 2 sides, the back, the shelf, and the top. The cabinet, as shown, is one unit and does not come apart. It is fairly easy to move with another person's help.

Rather than nailing mine together, I made it even more sturdy by using wood screws and screwing the various pieces together where the plan called for nails.

I have had to move mine on 2 different occasions and, other than the hassle of having to do so, experienced no difficulties.

The bench has an amazing amount of storage. I keep smokeless powder and primers in the cabinet, loaded ammo on top of the cabinet and on the shelf under the bench I keep miscellaneous items such as shotgun wads, case trimmers, etc. Under the shelf, on the floor, I keep my black powder stored in a locker. It is a very efficient unit.

I built mine exactly according to the plans shown on the NMRA web site. I stained it and put semi-gloss varnish on it. I have had no problems with spills of any type.

One thing I did do was mount my presses on a piece of 1/4" steel and mounted the steel on the table. This makes for a very sturdy platform. I have a Dillon 550 press and a Lyman turrent press mounted on it and have plenty of room to loak.
James M

Post by James M »

Update
I've moved some furniture, and made a nice space for my loading bench.

I've also found access to a genuine tool garage belonging to a bored married friend eager to help cut wood for my table :D

After writing to the company offering the bench kit, I recieved this reply:

"We have sold close to a thousand benches to reloaders and have not had any complaints about the 1" MDF. Keep in mind that it is lengthwise supported by two 2x4 beams. We have made in the past a few special benches with 1-1/4" thick tops for people who had an unusually severe use. It is also possible for the customer to glue a second top or sheet on top of the regular one. "
Received my Shiloh catalog :D waiting for my engraving order kit
Planning my Sharps order, lots of Photoshop'n