Cocoa Butter in bullet lube

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Hunter

Cocoa Butter in bullet lube

Post by Hunter »

Was going through some old black powder ctg. publications and ran across reference to cocoa butter to add to bullet lube to keep fouling soft. Anyone worked with cocoa butter as a lube additive?? Hunter
Say no to BO.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Hunter ! No ! But are you talking about coconut oil ? JAGG
JAGG
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Cocoa Butter is a common name for oil of Theobroma, an emollient that is great for softening scar tissue. It also is a common ingredient in sun screen lotions.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Oh Yes the little girl with her pants being pulled down by the puppy dog ! Copper tone ! What is a Theobroma ? I don't think i want to shoot something that sounds like that in my barrel ! JAGG
JAGG
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

No, I'm talking about the cocoa bean. You know the one used by the Hershey folks. It is a food stuff and can be purchased as a "food grade" product. Smelling it gets you jonesing for a candy bar. I beleive it is a veg. fat. No salt no nasty stuff to mess with good barrel steel. I think that there was a commercial lube that claimed it as an additive. DBL or something like that. The other three letter lube may also use this???? Hunter
Say no to BO.
44magnum

Post by 44magnum »

KY Jelly is a good additive too.
Bad Ass Wallace

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

My bullet lube for BPCR is 4 parts Beeswax, 3 parts Copha (coconut oil) and 1 part Olive oil. This mix shoots as good as SPG in all my rifles and doesn't have any animal salts.
Funny stuff though, if you work it, for example lubing bullets it is quite soft & pliable, but after let 'set' for 30-45mins it goes very firm again.
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!
dlemaster

Post by dlemaster »

BAW
Have you ever used that mix in a lubri-sizer?
I was just wondeing if it would be too stiff for a Lyman 450 sizer.
Mix sound interesting.
Regards, Dave
" I love a good gun, for it makes a man feel independant and prepared, for either war or peace".
David Crockett 1834
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

44 Mag ! KY jelly has sodiun chloride or salt in it ! I got a bunch of stairs from women while i was checking that stuff out ! It was almost as bad as when i was in the pocketbook isle look to see if i could find a bag to use as a possibles bag for my muzzleloaders ! Coco butter from a coca bean sounds dry to me ! Sounds like it has fiber in it to add to the fouling ! You want something that will either burn clean or not burn at all and leave the bore moist to some extent ! So that the bullet can push the fouling out on the next shot ! Put some of it in a frying p-an and see how it burns and what kind of ash it leaves behind ! JAGG
JAGG
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

JAGG, cocoa butter is smooth as silk. Check out

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/cocoabutter.htm

Hunter
Say no to BO.
44magnum

Post by 44magnum »

I was only joking about the KY Jelly, just tring to be light hearted.
Buckskinner

bullet Lube

Post by Buckskinner »

BAW

How does your lube formula hold up in the heat? Refering to O.A.T. Does it melt at 90 deg?

Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

44MAG ! You are up in Darby Montana ? Is that right ? JAGG
JAGG
Bill C.

Post by Bill C. »

The Cocoa Butter's a LOT cheaper here!

http://www.pvsoap.com/carrierbasespecialtyoils.asp
Bill C.-Shooting Birds in Oregon
Bad Ass Wallace

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

Gentlemen, firstly we are talking about 2 very different compounds here coconut oil and coco butter are not the same.

Copha (rendered coconut oil) is mostly used in my part of the world for making chocolate crackles (for kids) and is mixed with coco powder, icing sugar & Rice Bubbles breakfast cereal.

I haven't used my bullet lube mix in a lube sizer (because I don't size) but it has the same consistancy as SPG, so I guess it would be OK. As I said previously, under pressure it goes soft & pliable and in still air, it firms up.

Temperature wise, our summer temperatures run to 90-95F and I've never had a problem with this lube. A perfect star of lube always forms at the muzzle by the third shot.

Our favourite 'Long Range' match here is shot up a long gully with five small targets and a Quigley bucket at the back of the range. The five small targets are shot offhand or standing post, in order, closest (80yds) to furtherest (250yds), 3 times and the 16th shot rings the bucket (shooter must hit bucket to stop timer). It is shot 'man on man' and timed so the result is the most hits and in the event of a tie, the fastest time recorded.

As you can imagine, those who hunt with their Sharps will find this match great practice, it is visually spectactular for range visitors, and as far as shooting, a lube that doesn't allow you to fire 16 rounds without cleaning will soon be found wanting.
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!