Wads or not

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Badfoot

Wads or not

Post by Badfoot »

I am just getting started with loading my own Black powder cartridges and have a steve Brooks mould. Must I use a wad? I have ordered some from Walters but want to know the pros and cons. I did order a 45 cal wad cutter from Shiloh. If I want to make my own what is the best material to cut them from? Ya'll help a rookie out, Ya hear?
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Badfoot,

Welcome to this board and the wonderful world of BPCR!

No idea what your cartridge of choice is but I will presume it to be a 45-70. So with that in mind, I'd say to start out with a simple wax paper wad between the bullet and the powder column. Can't get too much powder in that one. Shoot up a hundred rounds or so and keep good records. Then you can try the Walter's wads. Again, keep good records. In fact, best get into the habit of record keeping from the get go. IMO you're off to a good start with the Brooks mould.

Regards,
TL
Badfoot

Wads or not

Post by Badfoot »

timberflake
Are you referring to wax paper sold in grocery stores to wrap sandwiches? If so then do you just punch out one thickness?
Thanks, Badfoot
Badfoot

Wads or not

Post by Badfoot »

Of course, I meant Timberlake!
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Of course, Footbad, I've been called worse by better.

Yes, just one thickenss of that, off the shelf, Waxtex paper will do just fine. And by the way, you can re-use them when you find them after they have gone thru the barrel. Trust me! (that WILL be your eye test!) Of course, you need to record it.

Regards,
TL
Capt Henry

Post by Capt Henry »

Badfoot
Going under the assumption that you are using a 45-70, I use a .030 Walters wad with one layer of a newsprint disc on that. I am using 2f Swiss and found that gives me the best results. Of course it really depends on the rifle. This works best in my Shiloh.
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Badfoot,

Click on this link. Sometime back Chuck produced this pretty good primer that I'm sure you'll find helpful.

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Intr ... oading.pdf

Regards,
TL