barrel cooling

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Randy,

your correct it was Jimbo and his ballard 45-110. The deer skin was soaked in water and rubbing alch mix and it did keep the barrel very cool.

I use some cool packs that you can get at wall mart and put them on the barrel between LR relays in my wagon box the old wood box and the cool packs act kind of like a ice chest and I start out with a cooler barrel to begin with. It does work.

Kenny Wasserburger
Knight Commander FES
Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

arnie

Post by arnie »

If you guys look around at the high power shooters ,you will find that at one time they were using CO2 to cool there barrels ,you could use one of those tanks from a paint ball gun and put a trigger mechanism on it and put a tube in the barrel and give it a slow blast.Arnie
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

With the proper load, controlling the fouling with the blow tube, drink more than enough water, don't let your round cook in the hot chamber and be prepared for each shot to start climbing on the target after the barrel really heats up is the basics. There is no magic here, it takes some work and keeping your head in the game. Jimbo is a hellava good friend of mine and his buckskim wrap he has for his 45-110 makes alot of sense and I like the idea, in fact I'll probably make one for myself, but I haven't seen it do any magic when the scores are tallied up....yet.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Kenny, do you know if that soaked deer skin, or chamois skin or any other type similar device is legal in NRA competition? Such as at Raton? I wouldn't want to try it there and be called on it. Just looking for correct information. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Harlan, I asked the same question of Kenny, do you know if it is legal in NRA competition? Randy
Randy Ruwe
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Poke,

There is no rule to address something like this. But a question back at you. Why in the heck wouldn't it be legal?

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Gunny, in talking to some other shooters after seeing this procedure, I was informed that anytype of material placed over the barrel (such as a mirage/heat barrier other than something like masking tape was illegal. I have no idea why something like a piece of deer skin which would have been readily available during the time period would not be legal and masking tape would be, that is just what I heard. Maybe one of you more experienced shooters who have shot NRA sanctioned matches can clarify this for me. Thanks Gunny, Randy
Randy Ruwe
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Has anyone tried pouring water via a device similar to a blowtube attached to a water bottle through the barrel? I would think that a pint/quart of cool water would cool down a hot barrel quickly. A couple dry patches and then a patch with your favorite lube should get your rifle ready for the next relay. Here in NE Florida the humidity is 90% or better so blowtubing usually does the job. In high temp low humidity especially where your barrel is exposed to direct sun 10 shots plus sighters must be a challange for any shooter. Rbump
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Gentlemen,

This same subject is currently being discussed on the Goex forum, and one of the better sounding solutions being discussed to the hot barrel problem is very similar to what Bumper just mentioned.

A very interesting and extremely useful topic to say the least. Contrary to what one might think it isn't always -40 deg. in the sub-arctic. In fact the last few days have been plenty hot around here; temps. over 100 and dew points around 70; Ugh!

Regards
bulldog

Post by bulldog »

Harlan's comment about cooking the round in the chamber - hadn't thought of that before! I always reload as quick as possible after blowing and then wait till I shoot. Might have to reconsider this.

On deerskins, etc. Of course it's illegal! If not you got guys next using racoon tails dipped in liquid nitrogen and all the other hairbrained ideas that some will probably really work really good , but set off a rail gun race. Get out of BP if you want this stuff. I'm surprised some guys think it's okay. Think again, you really want to start a scientific revolution. How about a groove spiriling down the barrel with a tube in it and hooked up to a pump circulatiing ice water. You can also swab with a big wet wab of alcohol and sure cool it too. How about 5 swabs in a row on the stick? How about a 30 ft rope soaked in alcohol and pull it through with a quick wench ?
I don't even think 1885 Browenings should be legal and were just the NRA being bought off. Semi-lookalikes should be illegal as shold some sights that are supped up.
That's waht I say. Of course some say to let a sleeping dog lie. I say lets fight it out.
Bulldog
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Now how do you keep that thing from falling into the dirt ? JAGG
JAGG
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Jagg, it is a narrow thin strip of deer hide (you could also use chamois) that is cut to be wrapped just over the top half of the barrel. Since it is wet and stretched it won't fall into the dirt unless the rifle also falls. I think the two benefits of it are 1. barrel cooling and 2. keeping down the heat mirage that comes up off the barrel during strings of shooting. So far I have conflicting information whether or not it would be legal for competitive (NRA) matches and am waiting to get a definitive report on that. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Randy,

I know Mirage bands are specific in mention in the rule book as a no-no.

My match of course is not NRA so we do what we want, main reason to have your own match right?

I dont use the deerskin wrap as I dont know if it is legal or not so I cool the barrel between relays as I mentioned. That and a slower rate of fire and good hydration and keeping the rifle out of the sun to heat up, are all one needs for the most part.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Randy,
Firstly your deer skin or chamois or whatever you want to call it strip will surely be construed as a mirage band by the rules weenies. :twisted: Secondly, there is always one guy at every match who will bring your non-compliance to the attention of the rules weenies. So, get yourself some masking tape, a big bucket of water and cool packs like Kenny uses and go for it!
Regards, LJ
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Hi Larry, so far I have been unable to find a definitve answer to this. So far you are the only one that has said it would not be allowed. I can find nothing in the rule book dis-allowing it, and nothing in rules changes posted on the BPCR site. So, I guess I will keep after it until someone can quote me a rule :D :roll: :wink: Randy
Randy Ruwe