Input on sights

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Matthew_Q

Input on sights

Post by Matthew_Q »

Short time reader, first time poster... well... I did post in a couple other threads...

I recently took my first steps into BPCR with the purchase of a Pedersoli heavy target '74. I really like it, and had a blast shooting it yesterday with my first ever black powder loads. I really like the rifle, and think she'll do great for me. I know a real Shiloh would be much nicer, but is not realistic within my financial constraints. Someday I'll have one... or two...

So anyway, the rifle is nice, IMO, and is probably one of the nicest new firearms I've ever purchased. However, the rear sight just flat out SUCKS. It appears the staff is not straight, and the eyepeice, when centered, is to the right of the centerline of the bore. The first range session, I had to use ALL of the left windage, and drift the front sight to the right just to get it on paper at 100 yards. The sight is just junk. Really surprises me because the rifle IS actually very nice.

I posted about this over on the BPCR.net forums, but they don't seem to get the traffic that this board gets, so I thought I'd ask here. (although I do value the input... some of those guys are over here, too)

I can only afford about $300... maybe a little more, maybe a little less. (I'm blowing enough $$ on BPCR stuff as it is!! ;) )

So the Parts Unknown Long Range Soule fits the bill at $325 (IIRC). I'd like a Soule, but the MVA Sharps Vernier looks like a good one ($316 for the midrange and $353 for long range... stretching the budget a little there). Someone mentioned getting a Ron Heilman soule for about $260. That would hit the spot!

Just a little about myself... My name IS 'Matthew' and my middle initial IS 'Q', thus the 'Matthew_Q' name. I'm not some Matthew Quigley wanna be... wait... yes I am... :P I'm 27, live in Austin Tx. I think that may put me on the younger side in this sport, but I have nothing but respect for those of a more 'advanced' age. I have a buddy that I'm trying to get to buy a rifle, if he can talk his wife into it, that is, so maybe we'll end up getting more younger guys into this stuff!
I have shot in matches such as IDPA, Tactical Carbine and Highpower Rifle. I also have a .50 flintlock that I shot in one muzzleloading match. Tied for 3rd out of 9 guys. In Highpower, I prefer to use my M1 Garand. I just have a thing for old rifles... nothing like wood and steel! Since the movie Quigley Down Under came out, I've always had an itch for a biga$$ rifle to shoot stuff really far away. Finally decided to just order the Pedersoli. I'm happy with it so far. Hopefully she'll prove to be accurate and reliable, and get me out to meet some of you guys at some matches. Hopefully we'll be beating you guys, too. Just kidding! Wait, no I'm not. Ahh, it's all in good fun. I'd be flabbergasted if I could even shoot half as well as some of you guys! I'm always interested in learning and love to read about this stuff.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Mat, I basically started the same way you are doing, and I agree with you that the sight that comes with the Ped. sucks!!

Over two year period, I have acquired 7 more of these BPCR rifles and have purchased sights for all of them. I have:

2 Ukranian long range
1 Kelley soule
1 Browning (came on the rifle)
4 MVA (1 mid range, 1 long range, 2 Buffalo long range)

All of these are good sights. The Browning is possibly the least positive in returning to position after a shot. By that, I mean the staff returning to original position (manually positioned) I am not sure whether it is the detent, or the spring pressure. Just not as positive as the others.

I have had no problems with any of these, and shoot all on a regular basis.

For my next rifle, if I get another, I would opt for a Ron Heilman tang sight. He makes some excellent sights, and the price (if I am not mistaken) is about $100 less than most of the others. He does not have a web-site, and I have lost his e-mail address, but I am sure Lee Stone or one of the others on this forum can furnish it to you.

MVA and Kelley while both being the most expensive, also provide the best finish and very acccurate repeatable adjustments, and easy to read vernier scales. The Ukranian or PU sights are also repeatable, have scales on both sides of the staff, but are more difficult to read with my old eyes anyway due to finer graduations.

Ron Heilman will build anything you want and I am going to give his sight a try next rifle. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Mathew, welcome. I have never had expierience with sights other than MVA. You are more than likely going to hear that they are all good. If I were, I would call Buffalo Arms and ask for Dave or Skip, they sell about every brand you mentioned and they will tell you what they think is the best for the money. You could buy some others you mentioned and still not be happy. Hope this helps and have fun, Thanks Kirk
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

howdy matthew i have seen rons ladder site in person but have seen his front he is a good machinist.i will give him a look on my next gun and will be getting one of his fronts as soon as i recover from my wife spending my money on me remodling the living room :roll:
if you get to the houston give me a call we can pop some caps and pop a top or two 8)
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

(have not seen)duh wish we could edit or i need to learn to proof read better :oops:
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
TYRVR

Sights:

Post by TYRVR »

Sights are like automobiles, everybody likes a little something about them all but drives only one,
this being said and having little to do with the subject at hand.....namely a good sight under $300.00........go with the P.U. but......go with the "OLD STYLE" long range Soule, because it is cheaper......($255.00) and is easier to operate, you get a spartan but usable "Hadley" style eyepiece as standard equipment with the sight, it is easily mounted and comes with excellent instructions, I have used both styles, (New vs Old style) the "new" style has a center of the ladder adjustment for elevation that is not as quick to use, that means a lot when you are on the line and the clock is running, what ever you choose......good luck and good shooting,

Ol'Tye, testifying,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Matthew,

I just put a Ron Heilman soule sight on my Browning 1885. I agree with Omaha that the original Browning sight isn't bad, but it could use some advanced engineering.

Anyway, the Heilman sight is excellent in every way, and the price was certainly right; $260 delivered to my front door. Can't beat that. Additionally, Mr. Heilman will work with you, if you have some special needs. His background is that he was a military armorer (Army I think) for over 20 years; he definitely knows his stuff. An excellent sight at an extremely competitive price. I have seen the MVA and Hoke sights, and they are very good as well.

Mr. Heilman doesn't have a website, but you can reach him at r.a.heilman@worldnet.att.net. He will e-mail you a catalog with pictures so you can see what he has.

Regards
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Thanks for the input so far! I think I will send Mr. Heilman and email and see what he has. That price does look good to me, and I've seen him mentioned in several threads, and the comments were all positive.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Matthew,
I spoke with Ron at the Last Gun Show and he now has an excellent Hadles Style eye piece as well. It goes for $75. if I remember correctly. Ron was THE armorer for the Army Marksmanship Unit. That should tell you a lot.
Jim Milner Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

All, I went ahead and ordered one of Ron's sights. Sent the check to him today, so hopefully I'll have the sight in a week or two. I'm getting excited. It will be one of the two major steps toward getting into shooting this biga$$ rifle worth a darn.

Next I'll be saving up for some casting equipment. I've heeded the notion that if you want good bullets, you'll have to make them yourself. Being in an apartment will make it suck for a while. I'll have to cast out on the balcony for adequate ventilation... and with temperatures in the 90s or so, working with hot stuff might suck! The good news is, it may be another month or two before I can get everything.. .maybe it will be cooler by then. (I figure I'll just get a buttload of lead and try to cast a lot of bullets to keep me going for a while)

Thanks for the input. I'll post a review and some pictures when I get it!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

You will not be sorry about the Ron Heilman sights, they work every bit as good as an MVA and cost much less. I have Ron's sights front and back on my silhouette Shiloh, and as soon as I get my Shiloh hunting rifle it will have a Heilman hunting tang on it.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Matthew,

When you start thinking about a pot for melting your lead alloy, I have found the 20 pounder Waage model K4757A to be the most to my liking. It has the best and must consistant thermostat I have found. You have to calibrate the thermostat when you get the pot, so you will need a good casting thermometer (Lyman sells a good one) to calibrate, but then you should have the thermometer anyway to keep a check on your alloy temperature. My old 10 pounder Lyman bottom pour pot is used only for pistol bullets and mixing alloy because I find the bottom pour more convenient for filling ingot moulds, and my 20 pounder Lyman dipper pot sits as a back up if I should ever need it. Here is the Waage website, but for some reason they don't list the K4757A on the site, you have to call them and ask about it.

http://www.waage.com/

Oh, and in addition to being better than the Lyman, it is also cheaper, and it's construction is straight forward enough that if a part on it ever does wear out, it is easily serviced by you.

As far as ladles go, some people really swear by the Rowel "bottom pour" ladle. I got one but apparently I am just too dense to learn the technique to make it work properly. I find that either the Lyman side spout ladle or the RCBS side spout ladle (I have both) work best for me. Dont get a bottom pour pot. They just do not work well casting these large bullets. Fine for pistol bullet size casting, but not good for the large rifle bullets.
Lee Stone
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Everyone, I received my sight from Mr. Heilman today and got her on my rifle. I am VERY impressed with it, and can't wait to get to the range tomorrow or Monday. $233 shipped. You just can't beat that, IMHO.

I'll try to get some pictures to share with you guys. I usually try to remember to take my digital camera to the range. I take pictures of my targets for future reference, so I'll try to get some pictures of the rifle while I'm there.

Thanks to everyone for the input, I wouldn't have found this sweet deal without you guys.

M@
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

[img]www.frayadjacent.com/pics/heilmansoule.jpg[/img]

There's a sneak preview... ;)
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

ok, I guess linking pictures doesn't work here... so here's a URL for it. Just click and enjoy ;) [url]http://www.frayadjacent.com/pics/heilmansoule.jpg[/url]