What's in your range box?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

James M

What's in your range box?

Post by James M »

That CAL-GRAF range box is sweet, but what would you fill it with ?
http://www.cal-graf.com/shilohr.jpg
Received my Shiloh catalog :D waiting for my engraving order kit
Planning my Sharps order, lots of Photoshop'n
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

My MTM plastic box and cleaning stand aren't so elegant (or expensive) but contain:
Ammo
Scorecard
Sight record
Pen
Blow tube
Rammer
Decapper
Sight inserts
Tools
Cartridge block
Glasses
Ear plugs
Sideshields
Shoulder pad
Elbow pads
Sweatbands
Towel
Gloves
Small water
Snack
Oil
Solvent (Windex)
Patches
Jags
Brush
Rag

I gotta get my own timer and one of those little weather stations would be handy, too.

The cleaning rod goes in the gun case with the rifle.

And I just chink in the corners of the van with:
Spotting scope
Tripod
Brass jug
Water
Lunch
Chair
Boots
Hat
Shooting mat
Shooting sticks
TYRVR

Range Box:

Post by TYRVR »

When I first started shooting the "Catridge" guns serious, I saw a neat box like the Cal-Graf on E-Bay..... it was home meade but well done, I bid on and won it for $15.00, it has the adjustable gun clamps on top and two drawers below, I keep my sight settings notebooks, my NRA scorebook, blow tubes, jags and brushes, screwdriver, earplugs and extra glasses, aperture carrier, pencils, decapping tool, some patches and a silicon cloth, and my homemade sight shade, (made from a plastic film cannister) my line block that holds 15 rounds and a picture of Kirk Bryan along with my Rosary beads.

Ol'Tye, keeping the Faith!
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

JimW: those MTM "range boxes" are very practical. It's best feature is that the plastic is strong, but it is light weight.

A Fellow Shooter once wanted me to make an oak range box for him. W/ all the gear that he carried, I told him he was nuts. Advised him to gather it all up, weight it, then I told him how much lumber would be needed & said go to the lumber yard & lift it up. I think he had a hernia just picking up the wood & a coronary from the price of the lumber-- & that was before I priced out the cost of the solid brass hardware. He finally settled on a Radio Flyer wagon to move it all 'bout. I think by now that it is too small for him.

One thing that I've learned is that the amt of gear that you carry or "need" is directly realted the size of the range box(es)/cart.

One common mistake is thinking that you'll park close in.

Another observation is that a cart w/ large wheel is great deal easier to move from one bank to another. I've seen some w/ wide pnuematic tires on 20" bicycle rims w/ quick detachable axles & it doesn't sink in soft ground....

The other week, I was @ Lowes or Home Deopot & they had some foam lined hard cases. the cases looked robust & I think they would make a great way to tarnsport a spotting scope.

My previous spotting scope was a staright model, no angled eye piece. I made a case for it from some lge. dia. black PVC pipe. Glued on an end cap & a screw cap. Indestructable for a few bucks. Wrapped the scope in a pice of foam before I put in the pipe. I must admit that it looked good--like a large pipe bomb, esp when I put a piece of fuse on it....
Vbull

Post by Vbull »

Over the years, the amount of stuff I bring to a match has actually gone down. I have to fly to many of the matches I attend. Lugging all that stuff around an airport one time and you will learn to bring less (or at least lighter) stuff with you.
Each time I get ready for a match, I look at all the stuff and figure if I did not use it in the last few matches, I don't really need to keep carrying it around. With the exception of spare mainspring, firing pin, or something that is unique to my rig.
I make my living working on the road all over North America and have finally learned to travel light and carry a big credit card. Biggest problem these days is getting ammo to these places if your not going to drive or nobody in the area is driving. We sent our ammo via UPS to Raton this year and judging by the tracking number, will be able to make smoke. Be seeing some of you there. Frank M.
deerhuntsheatmeup

don't forget

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Don't forget NRA scorebook in a ziplock bag.

Later, Barfield