Building a Hunting Rifle

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rdnck

Business 45

Post by rdnck »

marathonman--We can all learn, that's for sure. The Business rifle in 45-70 will do more things well afield with less effort than any other rifle I know of. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a 45-70 and the right bullet over a full case of blackpowder is adequate for anything in North America, and most of what's in Africa, for that matter.

My 14 1/2 pound Number 3 Sporter in 45-110 wasn't made to carry, it was made to shoot. And does it ever. So well with paper patched bullets, in fact, that I am willing to carry the extra weight just to get the cartridge in this superbly accurate rifle.

That is why I have ordered a Business Rifle with a shotgun buttstock in 45-110. Now, when THAT one is ready, I'll have the perfect hunting rifle with enough horsepower for anything, anywhere, anytime. Besides that, when you walk into a hunting camp carrying a Shiloh Sharps in 45 2 7/8 and have a cartridge belt full of paper patched bullets, every other rifle in camp is scratching for second place. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Shiloh Sharpie

Re: Building a Hunting Rifle

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

[quote="Saddlemaker"]Carrying my 12lb #1, with no sling, on last years mule deer hunt took all the fun out of the trip. I learned a lesson on what I would like to have and wonder if anyone has this type of build and their opinion.
Saddle rifle with the 26 inch round standard in 40-65 weighing about 8 1/2 to 8 3/4 pounds. I understand I might have to have a half round half octagon in order to get a sling and swivels attached. I have a buffalo trip to west Texas and a elk hunt this year with a trip to south Africa next. The reason for the caliber choice is recoil in this light of a rifle I'm thinking. Will the 26 inch barrel degrade the performance to the point it would be marginal for 500-600lb game that won't eat you.
Walt[/quote]

Instead of opting for a lighter gun, which this forum covers, does anyone have an opinion for carrying this type of gun in the field in a manner less fatiguing? I have one like it and want to use it for hunting. I am not going to buy another rifle.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Sure glad there's some HE-MEN in this group :lol: Slinging a rifle over a shoulder and all that climbing, whooooo-eeeeeee. :lol:

Kelley O. 8)
MLV

Post by MLV »

I picked up my new hunting Sharps today over at Shiloh, and already have a sling on it! A military rifle, .45-70, double set triggers, shotgun butt with steel buttplate, buckhorn rear sight, and Shiloh #111 front sight.
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

Mike,

Would you be so kind as to post a picture or two of that rifle??

Thanks.
MLV

Post by MLV »

Stillwater: If I had a scanner and any idea how to post a picture of something I would be happy to do so. But: I can't. And right now I'm going to go down to my range and give it a try.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

I have a 40-65 Shiloh saddle rifle. In hunting trim it weighs in at 11.5 lbs with 28" barrel. Excellent shooter and easy to carry. I don't have the heart nor the shoulder to put a sling on it. Just go from arm to arm with it and last year pushed Leigh Creek Canyon from Sperry's place to the Upper Crossing and over the hill. Some of you may know where I was at. With that diminutuve caliber I do not feel under gunned and have really gotten proficient out to 300 yds with the barrel sights. Neat little rifle! Thanks, Shiloh.

TL
tom ball

Post by tom ball »

:o Why are so many of you hunters afraid to put a sling on a Sharps? Quite a few original rifles had sling swivels on them i.e., look at the Sharps rifles on pages 220 and 224 in Sellar's book " Sharps Firearms." Also look at the old Ballard rifles all through John Dutcher's book entitled "Ballard, The Great American Single Shot Rifle."
Aim small miss small.