Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ray Newman

Palma match &n trophy

Post by Ray Newman »

Omak Cowboy

questions

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Ray,
the link states that "Wimbleton" was the home of the NRA???? I gotta go look at my reference books. Could this be true?

As a second question, I wonder what the ages of the competitors was and if it's changed over the many decades?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Ray Newman:

Interesting link.

Thanks.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Omak: since it's a UK site, I imagine they are referring to British NRA.
dbm

Re: questions

Post by dbm »

[quote="Omak Cowboy"]"Wimbleton" was the home of the NRA???? I gotta go look at my reference books. Could this be true?
As a second question, I wonder what the ages of the competitors was and if it's changed over the many decades?[/quote]

The NRA of Great Britain was formed in 1859 and in 1860 held their first annual rifle meeting on Wimbledon Common. It remained their until 1889. In 1890 the new ranges at Bisley opened, which today are still the home of the NRA.

Incidently the Palma Trophy was not known by that name until c1878. It first appeared in 1876 and was known as the Centennial Trophy.

The site observations about the US team not being permitted to shoot for the Elcho Shield are correct. This is a 'home countries' trophy, originally shot between England and Scotland. Ireland were later permitted to enter, and it was their win in 1873 and subsequent challenge to the US for a rifle match in 1874 that lead to the series of international matches.

As an aside, in 1875 after the Dollymount match, the US team did not travel to Wimbledon to compete in the Elcho Shield; it had been established before they left Ireland that they were not eligible to compete. A match against a United Kingdom team was proposed, but the US team declined the offer, but attended the Wimbledon meeting as individuals with some success. It was this year that the Wimbledon Cup was presented to the US for long range shooting.

Ages...

1874 US TEAM
J.Bodine - 48
T.S. Dakin - 43
H.Fulton - 29
H.A.Gildersleeve - 25
L.L.Hepburn - 42
G.W.Yale - 48

1874 IRISH TEAM
J.B.Hamilton - 36
E.Johnson - 26
J.K.Milner - 24