Beautiful original sharps, but insane caliber.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Troll

Post by Troll »

http://www.antiqueguns.com/auction/item ... bles-27181

Mayer would have been proud. I'm too cheap to ever buy something like that, but someone I hope will enjoy shooting it.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
Troll

Post by Troll »

Side note:

It's the only 1/2 octagon bull barrel I've ever seen. I guess it would have to be for that caliber.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Troll..As a newbie this question may seem dumb..Is that a rotating front sight?..It looks like a bead..that could rotate up to an aperture...If it is does anyone make anything like it today? Instead of putting some dead presidents picture on silver dollars they ought to put that rifle!
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
rdnck

Original Sharps

Post by rdnck »

I'm sorry guys, but that rifle doesn't look just right to me. It looks like a bit of reworking and creative antiquing, I'm thinking. Shoot straight, rdnck

Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

WWBen47

that is a beech or beach (I've seen it spelled both ways) front sight and yes they are still available

I think they are great for a hunting gun
Omak Cowboy

front sight

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Interesting rifle. I see something that looks like varnish residue on the metal.
As for the front sight, my 1886 has one very like that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
taw1126

PROBABLY?!?

Post by taw1126 »

I like the way they say the barrel was "probably" turned on a lathe at some point...
Shiloh 1874 Business .50
NRA Life Endowment Member
Member: RooseveltBrowning Hunt Club, Safari Club International, Winchester Arms Collectors Association
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I think it is pretty obvious that barrel started out life as full octagon. If not, then that is the first ever that I have seen or heard of with a "collar" separating the flats from the round. Of course I have not, nor am I likely to have the opportunity to see, much less examine every orgingal sharps made and still in existence, so I cannot make that statement with any authority. But it seems to be a simple matter of observation and common sense.

I was also a little concerned about the angle from which the picture of receiver was taken. It does not show the angled breech as prominently as one expects of a conversion. I had to look at the Shiloh catalogue pictures to satisfy myself that, yes, there is some slant to the breech. Of course the "Matthew Quigley" patchbox bespoke slanted breech conversion, but appearence can be deceiving. :roll:

But if I'm going to pay 6 grand plus for a Sharps, I'd druther it be a Shiloh!
Lee Stone
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I wonder how the barrel is stamped as to the caliber designation?

Lee: "But if I'm going to pay 6 grand plus for a Sharps, I'd druther it be a Shiloh!"

Maybe, but I have a feeling that a very good plus original Sharps or Sharps-Borchardt will still bring more @ re-sale time....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

The price on that gun the way it looks is, "Spooky". For that kind of money you can buy some darn beautiful rifles that are "correct".

When I first saw the barrel the first phrase that went through my mind was, "Practice Safe Shooting!" ;-)

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Ray,

I am sure you are right. But since I never sell guns, resale value is of no importance to me. I'll let my heirs worry about that. :wink:
Lee Stone
bubba

Post by bubba »

Lee
6 grand ain't so bad for an origional - If you want to experience sticker shock check out this one :shock: http://www.antiqueguns.com/auction/item ... bles-26786
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Lee: "But since I never sell guns"

I wouldn't go so far as to say "never." Someday you might need--God forbid-- some costly medical care or as what happened to a Shooting Friend, olive your financial resources....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Bubba:

Now THAT'S a pretty gun. I wonder where I could get a case like the one in the picture. it looks like a dandy.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"