Lyman/Ideal 310 Tong Tool Size

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

taw1126

Lyman/Ideal 310 Tong Tool Size

Post by taw1126 »

I'm looking for a used, steel 310 tool to handle decapping chores at the bench. I know there's two sizes available- large and small- and that the large are what I'll need for .45-70 dies. What I can't find are the actual dimensions of the large and small, to know what I'm looking for (a lot of people selling these things don't know if they have the large or small either).

Can somebody out there give me length and/or width of the large & small so I'll know what I'm buying?

Thanks,
Trey
Shiloh 1874 Business .50
NRA Life Endowment Member
Member: RooseveltBrowning Hunt Club, Safari Club International, Winchester Arms Collectors Association
Windcutter, SWNM

Lyman Large & Small designation

Post by Windcutter, SWNM »

taw 1126,

My personal inventory of Lyman 310 tools includes both "Large" and "Small" versions of the Lyman 310 tool. Some are old steel models, some are nickle plated steel models and some are current aluminum (anodized black) models.

The Lyman designation of "Large" vs "Small" for the 310 tool leads one to believe the 310 tool itself comes in two different physical sizes. This is not true.

The difference between the "Large" and "Small" designations refers to the LENGTH of the threaded portion of the handles where the dies are threaded into....... and protrudes downward from the lower handle...

Comparison of a "Large" 310 tool to a "Small" 310 tool will ony reveal the length of the threaded die protion to be of different lengths. No other differences exist.
From The Land of Enchantment,

ShortStake
Deming, (Luna County) New Mexico
I-10, between El Paso, TX & Tucson, AZ.
taw1126

Post by taw1126 »

Windcutter:
Thanks for the assistance. Is that dimension something that can be easily measured and verified when shopping for these things?

By the way- I like your part of the world. Did a spot & stalk black bear hunt with Billy Lee (out of Mimbres) last August in the Sappillo Creek region of the Gila Wilderness that resulted in a Boone & Crockett entry. I'm headed back there in November- with a Sharps if I can get comfortable with a load- to chase deer.

Trey
Shiloh 1874 Business .50
NRA Life Endowment Member
Member: RooseveltBrowning Hunt Club, Safari Club International, Winchester Arms Collectors Association
Windcutter, SWNM

Lyman 310 website

taw 1126,

The lenth of the threaded die adapter portion of the lower handle on the 310 tool extends approximately 3/4" for the "Large" handle set and extends approximately 3/8" to 1/2" on the "Small" handle set......

Try this website for some interesting history of the LYman 310 tool.

http://www3.telus.net/310outpost/

Hope this helps.....

ShortStake
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Windcutter,

I would like to thank you for that site also. I used a 310 Tool for a long time because the only press I had was my old Lyman Spar-T turret press and I did not think it would handle .45/70. Then a kind person over on the SASS Wire told me he had been loading .45/70 on a Spar-T for years, so I got dies for that and now use a Lyman T-Mag II because I can get additional turrets to it but not the Spar-T any more (I have five filled turrets and two empty spares so far). But, I still keep the 310 Tool handy for taking to the range or for trips or just for when I feel like loading that way. It may be slow, but it is fun (until my hands wear out :roll: :wink: )
Lee Stone
loophole

Post by loophole »

I don't know whether this is true of 45-70, but I found that the small handles work fine with 38-55 dies, even though the instructions say use the large handle. I haven't tried the experiment, but I looks as if the large handles would work with a number of short cartridges which call for the small handles.

Yeah, I know its best to follw the instructions, but this may be useful info for someone who grabs the wrong handles when heading to the range.

---------------------------------------

If at first you don't secede, try, try again.
Windcutter, SWNM

Lyman 310 handles.....

Gents and Madames,

Dug out my box of assorted Lyman 310 handles, dies and complete sets...

The "Large" handles have about double the length of threaded protrusion on the lower handle as does the "Small" handle. Threaded protrusion length of "Small" handles being about 3/8" and "Large" handles being about 7/16".

Am of the opinion that "Large" handles may not work with the shorter length straight wall cases? Vice-versa may work?

When one considers the amount of threads within the protrusion of both sizes of ALUMINUM 310 handles (Large vs Small), it may well be Lymans intent to insure enough grip strength of the threads on aluminum handles mated with the steel dies to prevent shearing/galling during use?

ShortStake
Windcutter, SWNM

Lyman 310 handles

G&M,

Too early in the morning!

"Large" handle threaded protrusion should read 9/16" .....not 7/16".

ShortStake