MAYNARD RIFLE (32-35 Stevens)

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ALLAGASH

MAYNARD RIFLE (32-35 Stevens)

Post by ALLAGASH »

A family friend showed me a Maynard chambered for 32-35 Stevens that has been in his family for 3 generations. It has a heavy half/ round barrel, nice checkered wood in fine condition and a tang sight with a sliding eye cup. The bore is bright and no pitting is visible. the metal has a nice brown patina with no pitting etc.

An original set of reloading tools comes with the rifle including A Nickle Plated(?) Ideal tool with mould, decapping tool and another tool that I could not figure out what it was but It looked like some kind of gauge (headspace maybe?)

There is also about a dozen loaded shells in original brass as well as quite a few fired brass and a tin stamped with the UMC logo full of primers.

The entire set is like a time machine with everything in excellent condition.

He wanted to know the value of the entire set but I know nothing about the later metallic cartridge Maynards. I love to give him a reasonable offer.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Allagash

That tool that you cant figure out, is a good chance of being a breach seating bullet tool.
As far as value, that is in the eye of the beholder.
It's a great caliber.
Good luck.

Kurt
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

ALL ! You can look in Barnes and Noble at their books in the Antque section to see if what you have or part there of is listed and priced ! JAGG
JAGG
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Maynards came in many different models. Does this rifle have a foreend and a pistol grip? It's also necessary to determine if this is a model 1873 or 1882 though actually the value doesn't change. Judging from the caliber, it's probably an '82.

My 2001 "Flayderman's Guide to Antique Gun Values" lists the Maynards from $950 to $3250, depending on the model. My "A Guide to the Maynard Breechloaders" by George Layman doesn't list the 32-35 Stevens as a standard caliber but in those days, you could get guns made almost any way you wanted.

Lastly, a rifle with all the tools might increase 50% to 100% because of the tools. Does the rifle have a case?

Rich
ALLAGASH

Maynard Rifle (32-35 Stevens)

Post by ALLAGASH »

Thanks folks!

It does have a checkered forend and pistol grip but no case.

The tool in question is a wooden handle with a flat, spoon shaped metal piece sticking out of each end. Sort of like a crude feeler gauge.

I have the Guide to the Maynard Breechloading Rifle on order. It should be here anyday.

:D
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

YEAH and in the late 60's i could of had a 44/100 maynard for $90 , but wouldn't buy it because of the space between the barrel and the breech ! That guy couldn't fool me ! JAGG
JAGG
ALLAGASH

MAYNARD 32-35 STEVENS

Post by ALLAGASH »

I found some more info.

The tool I could not identify is a shell scraper used to clean out the inside of the fired case. Cool!

http://www.antiquereloadingtools.org/maynardframes.html

capping tool is a Hadley Re/decapper as shown on the site listed above unfortunatly without the box. :D