Wind meter?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kodiak

Wind meter?

Post by Kodiak »

I'm looking to purchase a wind meter in the near future. I like the pocket-sized units. My price range is $60-100. What models do you use and what are their features, prices? Thanks in advance,
Josh A.

Wind meter

Post by Josh A. »

Use the special Sharps model wind meter. Fire one round, see how far it drifts. Move sights to compensate.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

sinclair int. has a dwyer hand held one for 16.50+ postage. go to
www.sinclairintl.com to order
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Check with your local Radio Shack, they are discontinuing them and they were around $14.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
steve witt

Post by steve witt »

Kodiak-Wind meter's are like sights, buy a pretty good one or you won't be too happy. I have the Radio Shack one and its ok but just barely ok for a rough estimate. I have the Speed Tech Skymaster which works real good. Try Lock Stock and Barrel I think they carry them. The price is a little more than you quoted but.....well Best Regards Steve Witt
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

K ! Learn to read a wind flag or the trees or the grass all the way to the target ! A wind meter is only good for where it is at ! Baloons are good too ! Josh has the right idea ! JAGG
JAGG
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

You need to be careful here. Electronic wind meters are not legal for many disciplines. That is why the Dwyer is used often and wind flags are the preference. There is also the Hall, which looks promising since you don;t have to hold a finger anywher in its range as you do the dwyer. Free standing is the ticket in my opinion - see http://www.hallwindmeter.com/

The Shiloh Wind meter might just be the best advise in my opinion. - funny too.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

You need to be careful here. Electronic wind meters are not legal for many disciplines. That is why the Dwyer is used often and wind flags are the preference. There is also the Hall, which looks promising since you don;t have to hold a finger anywher in its range as you do the dwyer. Free standing is the ticket in my opinion - see http://www.hallwindmeter.com/

The Shiloh Wind meter might just be the best advise in my opinion. - funny too.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front
Minnesota AL

Wind meters

Post by Minnesota AL »

Even if meters are not allowed, I see a real need for an accurate meter to be able to practice reading the wind. If you're trying to use a meter only at the firing line, you're missing much of its use. Behind a Kowa scope, I want to get a good wind meter.

I could see a spotter / shooter team and a couple radios being able to get some accurate feedback about wind reading at a distance. If you have a flag hung, you could stand next to it with meter and radio while the spotter determines the angles the flag hangs at at various wind speeds. Flags are different weights, I would gather, therefore they don't all show the same angle of hang. Likewise you could stand in the long grass, radio back the wind speed and let the spotter get some experience seeing what the vegitation is doing in a 12 mph wind.

Many folks spend a lot of time and money practicing their shooting. Seems like an investment towards good wind reading would fit in.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822