Bullet Weight,Does size matter?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Badfoot

Bullet Weight,Does size matter?

Post by Badfoot »

I have a Steve Brooks mould that casts a 440 gr flat nose, 3 groove bullet for my 45/70 and as I use this setup for hunting and pleasure shooting and no competeion I am quite happy with it. The question is if I get a 45/110 Shiloh, will this same mould work for me or will I need a bigger bullet?
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

it mite work ok?mine starts to shine with bullets of 500gr or better it realy likes 540gr pj creedmoor 8) could not get the 405gr to shoot for s#%@
good shooting to ya.
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Badfoot, if the bullet fits the bore, and you load it properly it will work just fine. I shoot bullets weighing from 350 grs to 572 grs in my .45-110, .45-90, and .45-70, and adjust the charge and other components to match the bullet. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Badfoot

Post by Badfoot »

Thanks, Fellers!
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

randy what gr size and compression did you use to get that 350gr to shoot in your 45-110 my wife mite like that load beter than my curent load.
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

size does matter...

At longer ranges, the heavier bullets will retain more velocity, and their mass makes wind drift quite a bit less, which can positively affect accuracy.

At short ranges, a lighter bullet's faster velocity will help it to shoot flatter, and will positively affect accuracy.

So it's a bit of a tradeoff. Best thing to do is try some different bullets at some different ranges. Your rifle might do well at long range with lighter bullets... ;)