A Bit Confused

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wwben47

A Bit Confused

Post by wwben47 »

Hi All,
Getting ready to leave for the Sagebrush shoot next weekend..hope to meet some of you there!..Now to a question that has me puzzled. So far (depending on the bullet used) I have been loading either 70 or 72 grains of 2F Goex, with all bullets seated onto the top band in full length sized cases.
I have read on here of guys using heavier charges and only seating the bullet a small amount ....Soooooo..This morning I tried 76 grains and a 0.030 wad. I thumb seated the bullet in FIRED, cleaned, unsized cases. (trimmed, chamfered and deburred)........None of the cases would fully seat in the rifle...The deeper i seated the bullet the closer it came until I did reach a point where a 457125 would seat with one groove showing. (barely)...Am I missing something?? (Besides years of experience!) Would I gain anything by even trying this?
Thanks..Wes
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

If I understand your dilemma, you loaded a heavier charge w/ the Lyman 500 grn Gov’t-style bullet, but it would not chamber until you seated it deeper?

If that is the case, the issue is most likely w/ the bullet design.

W/ heavier charges & shallow bullet seating, the Shooter usually loads a bullet that has a longer bore riding nose section (usually bore dia.), w/ the grease grooves of a larger dia. (slightly over groove dia.) W/ such a design, more of the weight is up front & this will usually permit the Shooter to use a heavier charge.

The Postell & Creedmoor designs are such bullets & are proven winners @ the much longer ranges & w/ heavier charges. If memory serves me correctly, @ the longer ranges these designs have less wind drift than a lighter bullet.

Or if a Shooter loads the Govt-style 500 grn. bullet, more powder compression will be need w/ a heavier charge to seat the bullet to the OAL as the bullet has no real taper to it. I’ve often thought of it as a 500 grn wad cutter.…

I hope this makes sense to you. Maybe others can explain it better.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
wwben47

Post by wwben47 »

Ray...You "splained" it perfectly..Thanks!..After reading your post I remembered reading that different designs were needed for seating out like that...For now I will stick with my simple load..Thanks again.
Wes
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
Minnesota AL

Seating depth

Post by Minnesota AL »

Wes,

I have no such bullets, but I believe the guys that seat their bullets way out of the case, getting 80-85 gr of powder under the bullet, typically use a bore ride bullet where even the first couple driving bands are bore diameter. The nose and the first couple bands are about the same diameter or the bands are only slightly larger. Then the last couple bands are full groove diameter.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822