Ladder Sights

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RowdyBill

Ladder Sights

Post by RowdyBill »

Thinking of getting a rifle built with a semi-buckhorn sight (and perhaps using tang sights later). Anyone have experience with the ladder sights that they want to talk about? I know this configuration would be for elevation only and wonder if the markings on the ladder sight truly match up with the ranges of point of impact. I would have to think that a semi-buckhorn is a semi-buckhorn, but that different loads must have different trajectories.
Josh A.

Sights

Post by Josh A. »

Rowdy, I have been meaning to get around to replying, sorry for the delay.

The barrel sights that are stock on most Shilohs are very well suited to most shooting tasks. I prefer the semi-buckhorn but it is entirely a matter of taste. Tang sights are wonderfully accurate instruments, but they are best used on the target ranges and maybe a few specialized hunting situations. If you learn to use the barrel sights and correlate the markings with your load at specific ranges, you can make the average Sharps pretty effective in the hunting field to 250yds or maybe a smidge more.

Start out with a front sight that is a bit too tall. Many of us pull the original Sharps silver blade and replace it with copper. Once you have a load that is shooting on paper the way you like, file the front sight so that you are running 3 or 4 inches high at 100yds. Then when you flip the barrel sight up find out where your zero is in that bottom notch. You should be hitable with minor holding adjustments near 200yds.

On steel targets, adjust the slide so that your target stands on top of your front blade, you'll be amazed how often you can ring a pig or turkey with well set barrel sights. Lots of lead downrange will prove the deal for you.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
RowdyBill

Post by RowdyBill »

Thanks for the info!