new customer advice

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I would dare say that Most of the BPCR Nationals have been won with at least part oct barrels.
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Troll

Post by Troll »

[quote="Kelley O. Roos"]Troll,

Are talking high power when you asked the question, "Have you ever seen anyone win a national title with even a fluted barrel much less a octoganal barrel," or BPCR :?:

Kelley O. 8)[/quote]

HighPower. With the greater Delta of velocities inherent to High-Power means that this form of competition is less forgiving then Black-powder where it it is more forgiving due to the smaller delta. The same reasons why round barrels are more accurate for high-power carry over to black-powder. Only that is not as much of a factor ussually due to the smaller delta V's.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

Lets see if I can follow the logic

Benchrest guns are the most accurate guns on the planet
Benchrest guns use round barrels not octagon
so
Round barrels are more accurate than octagon :idea:

That must mean

Benchrest guns are the most accurate guns on the planet
Benchrest guns are ugly
so
Ugly guns are more accurate than handsome guns :idea:

It would be interesting to test an octagon barrel, then turn it round and test it again. but now you have an ugly barrel

But I digress

Or it could have some thing to do with it is easier to make a round barrel than an octagon :shock: and to index it to the action etc. :shock: so as most benchresters are notorious for switching barrels for any supposed reason it would be easier to use a round barrel :?:

I like octagon barrels and have a couple that shoot better than I can hold them, so until I can shoot better than the gun, and the gun becomes the limiting factor.
I'll stick with the good looking guns :wink:
But I will spring for a Delta or whatever else your drinking the next time we meet :)
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Troll,

That arguement about round verses octagonol has been going on in BPCR for quite awhile, now I don't give a hoot about High-Power or your Delta's, so far no one has proved either types of barrels more superior then the other in the BPCR game and I'm sure all the guy's here, that shoot single shots, only care about BPCR and our beloved single shot's. I imagine if you came up with clear proof that round barrels is better in the BPCR world some would jump on the band wagon, not all though. I've seen both types of barrels win at the local, state and national levels. Your remark about, "The same reasons why round barrels are more accurate for high-power carry over to black-powder" just don't hold water. I can take any rifle that I've developed a load for and it'll shoot and hit what I'm aiming at, weather it's a round or octagonol barrel. Actually I perfer half round-octagon barrels which now all my rifle have on them.

So what's the point, your talking grapes and we're talking apples and playing with apples.

Do have to agree, those bench rest guns are ugly.

Kelley O. 8)
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

My idea of a hunting rifle in the 74 sharps is a plain Jane .45-90 30"round barrel single trigger with a buck horne sight.
I have the Creedmoor Silhouette in .45-90 that rifle makes weight if I need it for matches at 11 lbs 14 oz. the ballance is good, it comes up good. the .45-90 puts them down....I would not go with the short barrel, the 30" comes up real good. When you stand a bolt action allong side of it, it's about the same.
A lot of people say the .45-70 is easier to load, I dont think so. If you dont load stick with the .45-70.
Just my liking.
Kurt.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Let's see... Round barrels are ugly and octagon barrels are not accurate
It appears to mee that ugly and inaccurate are just fine for me... that is why I have half round / half Oct. I guess you could say it is pretty ugly and shoots half way good. I just put 5 rounds into a cluster .55" x 1" at 100 yds. And I am not a target shooter. must be that ugly inaccurate 1/2 and 1/2 configuration
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Ok, if ugly, is ugly, what is Butt Ugly :?:

Kelley O. 8)
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Kelley

I think the " Ketchup Queen "....is Butt Ugly...it has something to do with what comes out of that Big Mouth!

I like to think of her as " The Billion Dollar Bitch "

and if that Pond Scum Kerry wins..." The First Bitch "

TaRaySa...we from Pittsburgh can be down right mean...but we are not..." IDIOTS "......Awwww I now Fill Better!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
mrrangerman

Post by mrrangerman »

Hi all.

Butt ugly?

1. In people I would say the more Kerry opens his mouth, the more Butt Ugly he gets.

2.In Cars, it has to be the Aztec.

3. In dogs, it would have to be the dog in the movie GOOD DOGS, the one at the end of the movie who's voice is played by Cheech. ( If you have younger kids you'll know what I mean).

And the list goes on.

Good Shootin
Dan
Tom in NC

Hey PG

Post by Tom in NC »

If you're hunting PG or the surrounding counties, you might consider a shorter, lighter barrel in one of the models already mentioned. Don't overlook the Montana Roughrider either. One of these or a saddle Gun with a 28" barrel will work better in the woods there than the long barreled ones unless you're hunting from a stand across fields or on powerlines. Then I'd go with a 32". I have a HartfordM in 45/70 with a 32", half round standard weight. While a heavy gun to haul through the woods, it balances just right for offhand shooting and it will reach out there.
I wouldn't worry too much about barrel shape/configuration. Pick what you like. The barrel is just one element in an accurate rifle. I've seen "hummer" barrels (ones that are capable of great accuracy in varying conditions) fail to group in actions or stocks that weren't up to snuff. Wasted one in a rifle with a bedding problem once. Additionally, none of the folks at Krieger, Hart, Shilen or Lilja has been able to figure out just what it takes to produce a "hummer" barrel - it just happens but all too infrequently!
After visiting the Shiloh Shop and seeing how these works of Art are produced, I can assure you that whatever you get will probably be capable of more than your skills can produce initially.
Good luck with your choice - you're going to love it! And if you're working PG County - Be careful out there! --- Tom
HangfireME

Post by HangfireME »

PG2656 -

I will admit to not having read all of the replies you've received so, apologies if this is duplicate info.

I have hunted in the Pittsburgh area with a Shiloh Business Rifle - I own one in .45-70 - and I would not do it again. [u][b]For me[/b][/u] - I find the balance so muzzle heavy as to be unpleasant to lug up and down the hills thereabouts. This seems to be different for each individual as I have seen amny extoll the virtues of the Business Rifle. If at all possible, find a way to handle a few different models. I ordered a new Shiloh some time ago and it will be a Sporter #1 w/30 standard octagon precisely because it felt like an old friend when I first put it to my shoulder. For me, the balance of this model is far superior to the Business Rifle. Good luck.