A worthy cause....

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Ray Newman

A worthy cause....

Post by Ray Newman »

Colleagues: the following is from the First Marine Division Association, Northern California Chapter October 2004 newsletter. I am a life member of then 1st Marine Div Asso & that chapter. I think that is something that we all should consider & any donation will help. After having spent almost 8 months in a US Navy Hospital (Oak Knoll, Oakland CA) in 1967-68, I know that this program will have a very positive impact on the Sailors & Marines & their families.

If you do a GOOGLE search for the “Semper Fi Fund” you find out more ‘bout this group.

This thread was also posted w/ Kirk’s approval.

"ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE SEMPER FI FUND Major General Mike Myatt, USMC (Retired) the President and CEO of the Marines Memorial Association sent me some additional information concerning the great work that the Semper Fi Fund is doing for the families of wounded Marinesand Corpsmen. When the two wives who started the fund were in San Francisco for the television interview in early August, they had already dealt with 35 cases of deserving families and they had about $ 120,000.00 left in their war chest to support the activities of the Semper Fi' Fund.
"As of September 1, 2004, they are up to over 60 cases and have less than $ 30,000.00 remaining to support the families of these brave Marines and Sailors. They can certainly use our help and the help of anyone you know who would like to support our wounded veterans.
"Here is the reason for the fund's existence. The U.S. Government can reimburse up to 2 family members for a one time round trip ticket, plus 21 days of per diem to be bedside with a wounded Marine family member. The problem is that some of these wounded Marines and Sailors take far longer than 21 days to heal. This presents a huge problem for the family members who do not want to leave their seriously wounded son, brother, father or husband.
"Marine and Navy families are going into debt in order to remain with their loved ones. Some have even lost their jobs because of the extended absences from work. They are so dedicated to their loved ones that they are willing to make any sacrifice to remain with their Marine or Sailor.
"Needless to say, the presence of loved ones while undergoing pain, suffering and long term therapy is of great help to the wounded Marine or Sailor. The fund recognizes this and does all it can to support these deserving families.
"Marines always come to the support of our own, let's try and replenish some of the funds that are so rapidly being used in support of our wounded Iraq veterans. Here's the address:

"Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund
825 College Blvd, Suite 102
PMB 609
Oceanside, CA 92057

“Fund 501c3 Tax ill Number: 26-0086305

"Please make as many copies of this sheet and pass it around to as many people that you know. Let's get behind this effort and support our valiant warriors. Once a Marine, Always a Marine."
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Ray,
My son is in the Navy, I was a paratroop infantyman at one time. I didn't Google, but read what you have here.
Another son is inclined to be in the Army, sooner or later, would like to help in Afghanistan most.
Does the Army have a similar program should he enlist, or for those already in harms way?
In discussion with my wife we believe we can contribute to this worthy cause next month, and it is a worthy cause.
Thanks for sharing this with us all.
Gregg