Paper patch bullets and barrel wear question

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tasmanian Rebel

Paper patch bullets and barrel wear question

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Kirk (or any knowlegible shooter), I have a bull barrel Shiloh 45-110 that I got earlier this year to shoot mainly in long range competition. However another thing I would like to do with this rifle is use paper patch bullets with hunting applications. The majority of the buffalo hunters used PP and this seems like a neat thing to try. Barrel steel these days is a lot better than the originals but paper is very abraisive I understand. The old timers often just used thicker paper as their barrels wore some. I'm obviously not going to be shooting hundreds(or thousands in some cases) of animals as these guys did but am wondering just how much PP shooting CAN I do with this modern barrel steel before the fine line accuracy of a grease-grooved bullet is affected?
Smokin

SWAG

Post by Smokin »

Taz,

I will watch the replies to your question with great interest. Being absolutely clueless in this matter and having attempted to guess the number of jelly beans in a rather small fish bowl with similarly dismal success, I hope to learn here something about both statistical and technical processses.

Pre-education, I extend my thanks,
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hey Taz, this is like how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop, ha. I can't give an honest answer, I know paper is abrasive but that barrel is hard, a lot harder than the original barrels, I just don't think you are going to wear it out. Kirk
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks Kirk,
Now all I need is another rifle to shoot paper patched bullets. My existing rifles all have their own GG bullets now so I guess I need another rifle to play with the traditional bullets.

Smokin,
Which one of your children will you be converting to PP bullets? Or are you going to follow my lead this time, and order another?
Keep on hav'n fun!
Capt Henry

Post by Capt Henry »

It normally takes 10,000 + - a few licks to get to the center of a tooties roll pop, of course this does depend on the size of your tongue and if the pop was new. :wink:
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Some paper is made with a hard glossy clay finish ! That is what you want to avoid the most ! JAGG
JAGG