Tight Cahmber in Farmingdale .45-70 Business Rifle

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

Trapdoor things???

Post by Todd Birch »

Trapdoor things?

...."whatever would the Queen think?".....I do think the poor man meant the exemplary rifles of Mssrs. Purdey, Greener, Holland & Holland, Westley-Richards, et al.

Elementary, my dear Watson, elementary.....

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Oh dear. I doubt Queen Vic would have been very amused at the great detective using a trap door! But then he was of an adventurous and unquisitive nature, wasn't he.
Lee Stone
KHR

Post by KHR »

Lead Pot
I too have been having a little problem with 40/70 in a tight chamber. I've found that if I agressively full length size, then most of the brass fits, but there is still that irritating amount will not fit, I need to mike the brass to see if it's thicker. I also have been resizing my bullets to .408 and that has helped, they will not chamber when sized .409. Also i'm now using the Buff Arms custom expander to give .001 neck tension. Seems to be helping.
. . . . and I agree, ain't it fun!!!
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Well Keith I dont know what is a tight chamber for the .40-70 I dont have an original .40-70. Lets face it when it comes to what some call obsolete cartdriges,and you have to form your cases from different calibers to fit your rifle you have to compensate for this. There are a few production cases now made for this caliber and what Buffalo arms is making from ,30-40 brass that workes real good.
I been shooting wild cat calibers for a good part of my shooting life starting with the .22 varminter to .54 caliber cases. I have learned to put up with tight or loose chambers.
As far as my Shiloh I would not want it any different.
When it comes to brass,different manufactures have different specks for there case walls, we use them as they are or we have to rework it to fit. I guess that is why I just dont get tired of this hobby.

Kurt.
Todd Birch

Queen Vic?

Post by Todd Birch »

Her Royal Britannic Majesty took an active interest in the arms of her military.

At the Woolich Arsenal, they have a treasured target fired by Victoria Regina with a Martini-Henry mounted in a machine rest. Four hundred yards, I believe.

Needless to say, she shot an exemplary grouping!

Rule Britannia!

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
LimeyInID

Post by LimeyInID »

Todd hate too correct you but the rifle Victoria did it with was a Whitworth and she took the first shot at the NRA's inaugural rifle meeting of 1860 with as you say a rifle that had been put into a special rest and she pulled a lanyard, She did score a bull :wink: . So a british monarch fired the Very first NRA shot http://www.lrml.org/directory/whitworth ... rthgs4.htm
Todd Birch

Queen's Target

Post by Todd Birch »

Limey In ID

Thanks for the correction! Should have done my research before mouthing off.

I have before me the picture of the target.

The caption reads:

"Evidence of the great advance in accuracy shown by the Whitworth Rifle was provided at the national Rifle Association's first Prize Meeting at Wimbledon, and in the next few Meetings until it was superceded by the breechloading Martini-Henry.
Firing the first shot at this memorable Meeting in July, 1860 from a Whitworth Rifle carefully laid in a Whitworth mechanical rest, Her Majesty Queen Victoria hit within 1 1/2" inches from the centre of the iron target at a distance of 400 yards.
The impact of the shot is clearly visible on the target which is now in the main office of the NRA at Bisley camp."

At least I had the distance right!

Todd