Primers are primers are primers....Right???

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

stillwater

Primers are primers are primers....Right???

Post by stillwater »

A couple of years ago I purchase a 45-110 Hartford model. Before it arrived I read as much as I could (a lot from this board), talked with the people at Buffalo Arms etc... Thought this would be a piece of cake and expected to shoot 1" groups at 100 yards out of the box. (That was my goal since this is a hunting gun.) After a couple hundred rounds of not being able to group on paper (and I mean I could not get two shots to hit paper! We are talking 14"+ groups) I was about to put the darn thing up for sale and take my hat off to all the others that have success.

I finally listened to the advice of Sharpsman and changed my primers. What did I have to lose?? I had changed everything else several times. But what difference could something so small make?? A lot!! My first three shots, which were supposed to be my foulers, touched each other at 100 yds!! They are low, but now I can start to adjust the sights!! Fired 20 shots and did not use blow tube but three times and never had issue with loading and fouling!!! Maybe can use this hunting this year!!!

Thanks to Sharpsman, Redneck, and Kenny for their posts here on the 45-110. Cuts the learning curve down when I listen!!

Stillwater
Big Gun

Post by Big Gun »

What primers were you using to start and which ones work now?
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Yes, do tell.

I have been using Federal 215 large rifle primers, but have a couple hundred Magnum primers on hand. I've been able to get 2-3" at 100 yards with fliers...

... but that's with a new bullet, and only one load. I'm going to try a couple more charge weights and test, then try loads with Magnum primers and see what the difference is.

:)
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

I first started using Federal215M Large rifle magnum primers. A friend of mine uses these with Goex, but in a cartridge that uses less powder (45-70 I think). I figured that if it worked for him, and mine uses even more powder, they must be the ones for me. After getting advise from Sharpsman (who said he got it from Kenny W.) I went away from the magnum primer to a WLR primer. I am a believer now!!

Stillwater
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

I use WLR primers exclusively in my 40-65 & 45-70 (using GOEX Cartridge). I have not had the time to properly evaluate loads for the 38-55 & 45-90 ( Swiss 3F, GOEX Cart, and Swiss 1 1/2 will be tried). Rbump
RMulhern

Primers are primers!

Post by RMulhern »

Nope! Not in my opinion!! :lol: :lol:
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

Sharpsman:

I had not seen you reply to this yet, and was hoping you were still around!! Thanks again for your input!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. _ Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson
RMulhern

Primers??

Post by RMulhern »

stillwater

Keep in mind that WHAT WORKS FOR ME....in my rifle....may not work well....in someone elses rifle! Thankfully...I don't know all there is to know....and I've got enough commonsense to listen to others that have had more experience in THIS GAME than I do!! If one doesn't have time to listen and try what others have suggested then...IMO...one shouldn't own one of these rifles!! :lol: :roll: :lol: