cover all lube grooves ??????

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Flapjack

cover all lube grooves ??????

Post by Flapjack »

Hi all, just wondering about over all length. Do you need to seat your bullet to a depth that covers all of the lube grooves, or can you seat to any desired length without concern. Does seating with exposed lube foul your chamber?

Thanks for your input !!
Doing what I can, with what I got.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

OAL is something that must be determined by trial & error.

Depending upon the chamber, the bullet dia. & design, & powder charge, you may or not have exposed lube grooves.

Some rifles & loads will only provide ‘gilt edge’ accuracy w/ the bullet just touching the rifling, others need the bullet backed off the rifling a bit.

Exposed lube grooves will not harm your rifle unless you get dirt or some other form of abrasive into the exposed lube.

By shooting groups, & adjusting the powder charge, you’ll soon find what the rifle likes.

The Rdnck, on another board, provided his successful .45-2.1’ (AKA .45-70) BP load:

“This is EXACTLY the way I load my match ammo, no BS. It shoots in every 45-70 I own--3 Shilohs, 2 Pedersolis, and an old roller with a 1-22 twist barrel.

“Remington cases, flash holes drilled to 3/32 inch. Cases are weighed and segregated into light, medium, and heavy lots. They are full length sized and neck expanded after every firing and are primed with standard, not magnum Winchester Large Rifle primers. I use standard Lyman dies. The expander plug sizes the inside of the case mouth to .456.

“Powder is weighed on a RCBS 1010 scale. 70 grains of Goex 2f by weight, dropped through a 24 inch drop tube. The powder settles about .230 or so from the top of the case mouth. It is then compressed with a compression die so that it measures .600 from the top of the powder to the top of the case mouth. The amount of compression on the powder runs somewhere around .370 to .380. After the powder is compressed, a wad cut from ordinary wax paper is placed in the case mouth and pushed down on top of the powder with a wooden dowel on top of the powder.

“When the cases are neck expanded, they have enough flare at the mouth so that the bullet will go into the case the depth of the first driving band. It is very important to not shave lead from the bullet when it is seated.

“The bullet is a 457132 Lyman Postell, cast 30-1, sized to .458 and lubed with Black Magic lube. It is seated so that the top of the case mouth comes to the bottom of the top driving band, covering all the grease grooves. The seating die is adjusted so that all the flare is removed from the mouth of the case, but there is no crimp. The outside diameter of the loaded cartridge case at the case mouth is .478. This is necessary to insure that they will chamber freely in the Shilohs.

“Bullets are weighed to +or - two tenths of a grain, and are ladle poured at 820 degrees out of a pot that holds 60 pounds of lead. A Wal-Mart fish cooker is the heat source.

“I might add that clean cases , especially the necks are important to achieving low extreme spreads and sd numbers. We use a Thumbler's Tumbler and ceramic media you can get from Harlan Sage at Sagebrush products. You won't believe how well one of these things works. Hope this helps. Shoot straight, rdnck. “

http://goexpowder.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=492

Also see the below link fro info:

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Intr ... oading.pdf
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

rdnck:

Thanks for sharing your information. I hope one day I can return the favor.

Regards,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Oops!!

I forgot the poster and responded to the signature.

Thanks Ray for posting RDNCK's responce.

If RDNCK reads this, "Please read above Post". ;-)

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Flapjack

Post by Flapjack »

Thank's Ray , that answer's my question. I guess I'll just worry about my aol, and not how much lube, is exposed .

thanks !!!
Doing what I can, with what I got.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Flap: heed the rdnck’s advice.

As I said you may need to play w/ the OAL when you adjust the powder charge /compression to get the best accuracy. The rifle will tell you what it likes.

Keep meticulous notes & only change one component @ a time.

Shoot for the load that gives consistent results w/ the best grouping & adjust from there.

To keep atrack of your loads, take a fine felt maker & label the round as to charge, etc., or mark the primer w/ a different colored marker. I have had the ammo box open in the shooting box & spill a few unmarked of course rounds.

If you keep your rounds in Case Guard or similar type of box, add a large elastic band or similar device to hold it shut in case the latch fails. The box only comes open & spills when loaded & you are carrying it.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Like mentioned, seating depth/ O.A.L. is something you can play with. I tried seating the bullet in a dummy cartridge, and then chambering the dummy. As I have a Pedersoli, the throat is very short, so I pretty much have to seat the bullet deep enough to cover all of the driving bands.