To Kirk or Lucinda....or who ever!

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Leatherstocking

To Kirk or Lucinda....or who ever!

Post by Leatherstocking »

Kirk or Lucoinda,
I guess the best thing is to just ask the bleeding obvious! What rifle configuation and caliber would you suggest as a woman's hunting rifle. My wife is small framed and and not very stout, but she wants to shoot. The more questions I ask the more confusing it gets. If I could get a Saddle rifle in 45-70, that wasn't too heavy...that's what I would do! What do you think and when you make a suggestion can you give some particulars....like weight and such. I own a Business Rifle I bought back in '85 and love it...but it would be way too heavy for my wife!
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning, If it were me, I would look at either a saddle or #3, cheekpiece is the only difference. I would have a 26" standard half barrel, with sling swivels. I would get it in 38-55, because a 45-70 in a rifle light enough for her to carry is going to hurt her. When we get all done you are going to have around a 9 - 9.5 pound gun that will be comfortable to shoot and you will continue to have a happy and productive marriage. Thanks Kirk

P.S. A 38-55 is nothing to grin about as far as killing power. What is going to make it work for her, is she is going to be able to control the gun, way better than a 45, which is going to make her much more effective with it as far as accuracy goes, placing the shot. I have an old friend up here that shoots an elk every year with one in an old Hi-wall.
Leatherstocking

Kirk, Can you actually shorten the "pull" with shotgun butt?

Shiloh Business 45-70
Lucinda

Post by Lucinda »

Yes, you can shorten her length of pull on a shotgun buttstock.

Lucinda
Leatherstocking

Lucinda,
Thanks for reply! How do I measure her for length of pull?

Shiloh Business 45-70
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

Leatherstocking,
Have her bend her arm 45 degrees and measure from the inside of her elbow to her bent trigger finger. I'm not very tall and have short arms too. My length of pull measures 12.5 inches.
It's much easier to shoot a rifle thats too short than one thats a little to long.
Good luck in your quest for the perfect rifle.
Freedom Isn't Free

Doug