which sharps aliber would be the bes for target/fun shooting

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

I just posted this once but it must have went out in cyber space so I will do it again :lol:
Of all the chamberings I have the .40-70 in my #1 is by far the most accurate.

Kurt
agent

Post by agent »

thanks again for your answers, but I have got another question :wink:

which bullet weight in 45-70 would be ideal for hunting dear?
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

this question can get into powder, simply becouse they are connected in my answere.. for hunting i find swiss 1 1/2 and heavy bullets burn the cleanest. i use 500 gr bullet .120 thickness of vegi cards all grrooves lubed , all grooves covered, and 60 grains powder in weighed cases, weighed powder and weighed bullets.... this gives compression, yields 4 rounds without blow tube in average weather, and most importantly the first shot is in the group. this works for me and my bullet lenght and my crimp, and case expander etc etc. etc.. so youve got alot of work ahead of you.. last fall i used 70 grains 3f goex and 400 grain bullet that worked ok for 2 shots.. the 500s have similar tragectory for some reason and are more accurate and first shot is not off any from clean bore.. most likely from less fouling problems.. dave..
Leatherstocking

Post by Leatherstocking »

Agent, I have an older Shiloh, which hasn't shot 500 gr. bullets too well. I guess I need more tweeking with that size bullet! So I have stuck with 405 gr. cast which has made me fairly successful hunting. The merits of 500gr. should out weigh 405 gr. with todays Shiloh's and different bore twist. I tried some 300 gr. H.P. factory loads once, when I first got the rifle, and I missed a shot on a 36" mulie! It seems to me the rule with .45 cal bullets is the longer the bullet the better. A friend shoots a 550 gr. in a 45-70 and has grreat results. My hunting/killing shots have been out to 300+ yards....all one shot kills. Deer size animals, have all dropped where they stood. I have included a hunting story on the Hunting stories thread about a bear I shot with Shiloh and there's a photo on the Trophy page!

Good Huntin! Leatherstocking
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70
agent

Post by agent »

thanks again for your answers, i will use 500 grain bullets. When I have got my sharps I will report about my shooting and hunting experience. thanks again and this is really great and informativ forum :D