New Silouhette rifle:

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Hey Joe !

Post by Hey Joe ! »

Many thanks for the ideas. Sounds as if 3" cue balls would have been easier than 3 1/2" but Tye gives me grief about my .45 rifles and I didn't want to skimp. There must be a common household object. I like the idea of a rolled up newspaper and playing second amendment games with a liberal rag, but it might set fire to the range. Same problem with wads, but I will try fire-retardant plywood. I tried paper patch for rifles, but the winters here just aren't long enough for that. No explosive charges please.

I like the idea of smooth swimming pool plaster. Do you suppose a liter soda bottle (nice fit in the bore) would serve both as a mold and a sabot in a smooth bore ?
Often wrong, but never in doubt
Hey Joe !

Post by Hey Joe ! »

An update, and thanks for the ideas. I've cut back on the charges to six ounces and a better grade of concrete holds together. The swimming pool plaster suggested by KHR does real well and it can be cast and shot in a 1liter soda bottle. Both concrete in cans and plaster are stable out to about 300 yds. The 1/4" fiber (plywood) wads suggested by TYE help keep the jackets from stripping.
I've never had a Shiloh, but it seems you just have to tinker with guns right out of the box to get them to work.
Often wrong, but never in doubt