Another buffalo hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Buffalohunter1

Another buffalo hunt

Post by Buffalohunter1 »

Hey BP Shooters,
Just got back from my first buffalo hunt and had a wonderful time. I went to the Schuerman Ranch in Colville Washington. My son and I sallied forth through a foot and a half of snow on foot and covered over 9 miles (gps) in five and a half hours to get a shot on my 4 year old bull. All the practice payed off, one shot, offhand, at 116 yds. penetrated the right lung, destroyed all the arteries above the heart and lodged in the left lung. All this with an vintage 1878 rolling block in 45-70 topped with a tang sight. I used 70 gr. of 2f compressed, under a postell 540 gr soft lead traveling at about 1118 fps. which groups well under 2 inches at 100 yds. I think next time I will work up a load using 3f, hoping to top 1200 fps.
My son took his the next day after a near identical chase (5 hours and 8 miles). He put the sneak on the herd and got within 60 yards while I flanked them and hazed them toward him. He shot his head on during a charge (from my perspective it was walking at him but it's his story and that's OK) and ventelated the heart. It dropped like a stone from the Marlin 1895 45-70.

The ranch owner was a little apprehensive about antique cartridges and open sights because of past experiences. However the back to back one shot kills my son and I made has caused him to re-evaluate his opinion.

The snow, cold, hunting on foot, and limited range weapons in addition to the warm friendly hospitality of Dave and Larry Schuerman made this hunt the outstanding experience it was. I would recommend this ranch to anyone and plan to go again as soon as my meat supply gets low.

Alan
one shot, one kill
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Great shooting Al! It just goes to show that a buff doesn't go too far with a hole in the heart. All that time at the range paid off. - Mike
Buffalohunter1

Post by Buffalohunter1 »

Mike
Practice sure does pay off, however it cuts the hunting short. Sorry about not getting out to your house this weekend to return the coveralls. I'm just getting to the point where I can take 10 breaths without coughing. I went out today for the first time sincew getting back so I think I will live.... Let me know when you will be home and I'll get them back to you..

Thanks
Al
one shot, one kill
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Al, I am looking for another Buffalo hunt, and am curious about the price of the hunt, accomodations, etc. Any information would be very helpful. Thanks, and nice hunt and story. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Buffalohunter1

hunt price

Post by Buffalohunter1 »

Randy

The cost was $100 for the hunt, of which you get the head and hide on the premise he can sell the meat for the prevaling $$$ in the local or extended market. With short notice and no market he requires you take half of your kill which, in my case was $2.25 a lb. carcus weight (skined, lower legs and head removed, gutted, and quarted).
The quality of accomodations are a matter of perspective. I and my party found them to be a darn site better than many hunting camps I have been in and very clean. We had hot and cold running water, a bathroom with a cast iron tub, toilet and sink, a fully equiped kitchen/dining area (electric stove, mikrowave, sink, Mr. coffee, pots, cups, pans and utensils, table and chairs), a living room furnished with several overstuffed chairs (orgin and age unknown) and two couch/hide a beds heated with a wood stove made from a old hot water tank which burned all night without restoking. The cabin had two bedrooms each with a double bed and single bed. Keep in mind this is no 5 star hotel but since they didn't charge me for the cabin (the normal charge is $30.00 for the cabin for the hunt, not per person) and even if they did, the accomodations were outstanding for the cost.
The night my boy got his animal the owners came up and brought a bunch of fallow deer saugage and other makings and we cooked it all up on top of the wood stove and had a great time.
These people are of a dying breed, unpretentous, honest, kind and friendly.
I think they are about done for this year but next year if you were to call ahead with enough lead time to let them get a market for the meat you could get away with just the cost of the hunt (will be going to $200 next year) and the cost of the cabin, $30.00. They do all the dragging, gutting, skinning and quartering. At twice that it would be a no brainer and for that you get to bring home the head, hide and memories.

The ranch will provide full transportation (safari hunt) at no additional cost if you want, but that's cheating. My son Jason and I chose to do it the real way it was done, on foot in the snow with antique weapons and loads. It is obvious that these animals have about a 100 yard comfort zone when in cover but I don't what they have in the open because they covered it on a run. Using BP loads made it a challenge, modern high power rifles would have been similar to fishing in a trout pond with a Dupont spinner.

To contact them Call Dave Schuemer at (509) 684-5692. The adderss is Schuemer Ranch, 734 Hwy 20 East, Colville WEashington, 99114. Please feel free to mention my name (Alan Strange) and that I had a great time.

Alan
one shot, one kill
bobw

Buffalo hunt

Post by bobw »

Hey Omaha I got a letter the other day from the SDWF (South Dakota Wildlife Federation) they are a group that supports SD's wildlife and hunting interests of the regular citizen. every year they have drawings and raffles for guns and other goods to raise money. I noted with great interest that for the fall 2005 season they are raffling a buffalo hunt guided in SD's Custer State Park. 1 chance for $10,3 for $25, and 6 for $45 with a membership to SDWF. Long odds probably but the hunt is for a 2 year old Bull and the park is a fabulous place to hunt all free roaming and full of game. I have had the pleasure of and blessed luck of hunting elk there 2 times. I believe the park also offers a trophy bull hunt for $3500 or so. If you are interested in these raffle tickets contact www.sdwf.org or call (605) 224-7524 bobw
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Alan and I had planned this together, but he had some unforseen things come up that delayed his hunt . I had already made arrangements so went earlier than he. I wish I could have made it with him. Everything Al said is absolutely correct about the Schuerman ranch folks. GREAT PEOPLE.
I will be going again next year
Jim Milner
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
SoDakid

Post by SoDakid »

bobw,

I too am a resident of South Dakota, though not born and raised here as I imagine you were.
I understand that the Any Elk hunt in Custer State Park is a once in a lifetime hunt, that once you draw this tag you can never hunt a bull elk there again. I beleive that you can apply for a special Cow tag but once you draw one you are no longer eligable to apply for 10 years.
I have only 2 preference points for the Any Elk season. I know one guy who has applied for 23 years and has not yet drawn his Once in a Lifetime Elk tag.
What year did you get yours and did you get a big bull? Your other hunt in Custer State park must have been one of the special cow tags?
Any hints on a good area to hunt?

Ben
bobw

CSP particulars

Post by bobw »

Hey: Ben hope I didn't confuse you on these hunts . The Buffalo Bull hunt that CSP has availible thru the park is not a drawing deal. The park management down there decides on how many older bulls they need to cycle out and sell I believe 1st come 1st serve so many tags( Last I heard $3500.00) ea. The raffle I spoke of is sponsored by SDWF for a 2 year old bull guided hunt that was donated by the Park for conservstion fund raising like Govenor tags in other states. The buffalo herd in the park is a managed park business. The park buffalo, all get Brucellosis vacinnations and are still free roaming but rounded up in the fall to do this and to sell herd surpluses. Easier I suspect and more rewarding, finnancially, to the park to sell trophy bull hunts than to try to load 2400 lb bulls in a stock trailor!
The elk hunts are handled drawing wise by the GFP. All park elk hunts are a resident only situation. I had 9 preferrence points in 1994 and drew the any elk tag, 35 availible and 4250 applicants apprx. lucky huh! Shot a real nice 6x6 on the second day , 7th bull I saw and had under the gun there were a lot of bulls taken that scored as well or better. I realized a milestone by getting the tag and the experience of a once in a lifetime hunt. The second tag I received for CSP was for the antlerless hunt this fall . I shot a real nice healthy cow and had a great hunt, it took 10 yrs of preferrence to draw this tag. At CSP preferrence point means an extra chance in the lottery not being grouped and put in front of the next group with one less point. This way you have people with 0 pts to whatever getting tags every year. These elk aren't tame ,you still have to hunt them but they are well distributed through out the park, the elk density is high, and you just need to scout prior to season opening . Keep putting in your $5.00 nonrefundable application fee and app in every year and cross your fingers. I know several people who waited well into 20+ yrs before getting lucky. bobw
RMulhern

Buff Hunt

Post by RMulhern »

I shoot a buff at least 3 times a week and when I hit it....it sounds like "CLANG"!!

Damn buff never moved outa it's tracks!! :lol: :shock: :roll:
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

Sharpsman

Do you have to use an acetylene torch to butcher those buffalo that go 'clang' when hit? Aren't the steaks a bit hard to chew? At least you'll get your daily dose of iron.
RMulhern

Buff Hunt

Post by RMulhern »

Hidehunter

No torch but they're HELL on a knife blade!! :lol: :roll: :lol: