Casting checklist - First bullets cast! Pg 4 update

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jubilado

Post by Jubilado »

Lots of good information here. Ray, where can you get an infrared thermometer?

Paul
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I bought mine @ Sears 'bout 5 yrs ago. I would look in a well-stocked automotive supply hopuse. Check around as prices range from very inexpensive to very high.

Later I'll get out to the shed & get the miodel # of the unit that I have.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Jubilado: I just checked the Sears site & the model (982288) that I have is not longer listed.

However, there is a similar model that will read to 1000 degrees F. for US $79.99.

Sears item #00950466000 , Mfr. model #50466. See below link:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... 0950466000
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Well, I'll probably avoid the Lee pots simply on the measure that (all of the ones I see on Midway's site) they all only hold 10lb of melt. I'd want at least 20lb. That would be a good median number, so I could get about 200 bullets out of 20lb of lead.

I'm going to start saving for the stuff. I'll probably get the Lyman dipper and thermometer and an ingot mould from Midway (or use muffin trays for moulding ingots).

One question no one has touched on though: I'm planning on getting the mould I mentioned from Victory Molds, but what mould handles work with Victory's moulds?

As for caring for the mould... The way I have understood is to use brake or carb cleaner before and after casting, then give it a coat of preservative oil for storage. So can I just use some regular old degreaser or brake/carb cleaner? How about using CLP for the storage?

I'm definitely gleaning lots of information from you guys, and I greatly appreciate it. Hopefully this thread will help a few others learn about starting in casting. ;)

M@Q
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I don’t use any grease or oil on moulds, ‘cept those put away for long term storage.

Instead, I purchased a package of “Gun Wrap Paper” from Brownells. I just cut a piece to fit the inside of the mould, reloading die, vernier caliper box, etc. It is a very economical & efficient way to protect the metal from rust. It is the same paper that Lyman includes or did include w/ its moulds.

See below link:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... P?%20PAPER

I’ve been storing dies & moulds this way for several years w/o any problem. I would look in the Yellow Pages for a machine shop supply house & see if they carry it or a similar product. You may be able to get it locally.

Trust me, it is a great deal easier to use than oil & then cleaning w/ carburetor cleaner or some other solvent….

As for mould handles for the mould that you desire, I’d contact --by ‘phone or e-mail--Victory moulds & get 1st hand information.

As for a thermometer, I don’t know if GAR Reloading is still in business, but they offer/offered the “Tel-Tru” thermometer (model LN250R) for a reasonable price. It is a very well made & accurate unit, which can be re-calibrated by the user, if necessary.

http://www.teltru.com/bimetal_ind.asp#back

http://www.garreloading.com/products.php

Based on experience, I’ve found that it beats a Lyman ‘hands down.’

Tel-Tru manufacturing Comp.
Rochester NY 14601
www.teltru.com

Perchance, if your mould does acquire some rust, look around for the old style pencil type typewriter eraser. It has a brush on one end that can be trimmed to a shorter length. The eraser contains an abrasive material, which removes any surface rust & can be sharpened via a pencil sharpener to a fine point.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

EwingYoung

Post by EwingYoung »

I won't say that a Lee pot is great but to get started it will work for a low cost and they do have a 20lb. pot.
The most 550g bullets I can get from a 20lb. pot is about 120 and that is with a struggle at the bottom. This leaves about 7lbs. of melt that is too shallow for the dipper. I am using gas and a 40lb pot to cast and a 60 or 70lb pot to make up alloy. I can get over 200 bullets easily but after 100 bullets you may want a rest anyway. Casting takes more concentration than you might expect if you haven't done it.

I think Victory supplies handles since they don't mention that but don't quote me.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Matthew-Q: I was just over on the Victory mould site & noticed that Pedersoli-Gunn-Trenk is $150.00.

@ that price, you’re getting into the custom mould prices. A custom mould maker will make you a mould that will cast you a bullet from a specific alloy & of the proper dia. to fit your rifle’s bore & throat.

If you haven’t shot that bullet, I suggest that you post on this & other BPCR boards to buy some bullets of different alloy from a caster(s) prior to buying that mould.

Unless you have shot the bullet, you have no idea whether it will work. If it doesn’t, you’ve spent $150.00 on a mould that is of no use to you.

Iyou haven't done so, slug your bore & make a chamber cast.

Again, speaking from experience…..

Ewing Young is correct about a casting session. It does get tiring & it will do even quicker if you’re casting heavy & large from a mould w/ big mould blocks or a double cavity mould….
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Ray, I have a Pedersoli rifle, so it's intuitive that the Pedersoli-Gunn-Trenk mould will work great in my rifle.

Unless everything I've read about it and how well bullets moulded by it perform in Pedersoli rifles.

(maybe you thought I had a Shiloh, and the Pedersoli bullet wouldn't work well?) ;)
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Matthew: if you say so & I hope you are right.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

This whole thing sort of reminds me of a snake oil seller.

Pedersoli makes a great rifle, first off. However they are broach cut rifled, so there tends to be some varriance in the groove and bore sizes as evidenced by many owners posting varrious grove sizes of their own barrels. Thus a single bullet design to fit all these barrels is a bunch of bs.

I am not trying to downplay Pedersoli quality Its just that each rifle is a entity of its own and no single bullet mould will make em all into shooters.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Mathew, I was one of the first testers of the Victory PGT bullet moulds. I cast about 600 bullets from my test mould before sending it on to the next person on the list.

I got very good results from this mould, both at the casting, measuring, weighing, and reloading bench, but also at the range and at several matches. The bullets cast were used in two different Pedersoli rifles. One was a '74 Sharps model, actually one of their less expensive ones, and the other was the John Bodine w/34" barrel and in .45-90 cal.

I got excellent accuracy from both rifles, and at one match the two shooters that I was relayed with both exclaimed that my sighting shots at two hundred yds were all going into the same hole. I wish I had that target to send to Dick Trenk to enter in the MOA match :!: That was not an isolated incident. The bullet has performed so well for me in both rifles, that I ordered, paid for, and just received one of these moulds for myself.

Some improvements were made to the mould due to my observations and replies and the observations of other testers, and the moulds now being produced by Steve Fotou at Victory are larger, have a 1/4" thick sprue plate, and cast an even better bullet than the test moulds.

The mould was designed to make a bullet that perfectly fit the Pedersoli chamber and throat, and it does just that. I wouldn't put much credence in detractors who have not tried it. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Well guys, I've read that Dick Trenk had a couple of the PGT moulds and sent them around to different guys to try in their Pedersoli rifles, and at worst, they said that the bullets performed about the same as other custom moulds in their rifles, and at best, they were more accurate and required less windage at long range.

Some of ya guys might not have read up on it, not having Pedersoli shooting irons, but I read as much as I could with great interest, and I don't think I'd be disappointed. I may get in touch with Mr Trenk and see if he still has a couple moulds to send, or try to find someone that has one and see if I can get a few bullets to try out. (don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning y'alls judgement, in fact I trust it very much!)

I'm all about trying before I buy, but right off, I think it would be the best cookie cutter mould for me. Sure, I could do a chamber cast and slug the bore, but if something has been tested and performs in other same-make rifles, I doubt mine will be some oddball that won't do similar.
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Well looky there! Firsthand experience right here from our very own Omaha Poke!

I'd be willing to send you some compensation if I could get you to send me a few bullets to try out in my rifle.
Kenny Wasserburger

Ok,

I have Very little experiance, in BPCR.

Was trying to point out that one bullet mould is not a magic bullet.

Randy one group does not make it a MOA Winner, you have to fire 20 shots into one MOA to make the book. At one setting too.

I was not attempting to be a detractor, But I bow to your much greater experiance and your rancor.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Kenny Wasserburger

Matthew,

I have read a great deal on this victory mould, see the web site and follow it with great interest. I have also talked to guys that have .454 grove barreled pedersolis and they cant make a .458-459 bullet shoot in their rifles.

I would suggest sluggin your rifle barrel before spending 150.

Kenny Wasserburger