Hunting front sight I can actually see?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bill in Oregon

Hunting front sight I can actually see?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Recently came into a "rode hard and put up wet" SNY rolling block with damage to the last 8 inches of the barrel. The forend has been cut anyway, so I do not see it is a huge sin to have the damaged barrel bobbed to about 28 inches, as the rifling from there back to the chamber is in pretty good shape. This will mean a new front sight, and I sure would like one that is period, if not correct, that I can see against a dark target (a bison, as a matter of fact). What do you fellas and gals like for a simple open hunting sight up front?
I'll also look into a rear sight that will fit the existing holes -- maybe a copy of the old Remington "rough and ready."
Thanks for any thoughts one way or the other.
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

take silver dime or quarter, penny, pc of stteel with lampblack for black post and start grinding.. set on muzzel and see what works in low light, bright light, behind in front and side. .. my sight is silver blade with strait up front until it comes to a small round over. im guessing 1/16 inch or less radius.... itwill gather light from all angles if above or behind.. this couses some minor error, but is visibale in dim light and im happy with it.. dave...
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Several hunters have commented on this & other baords that the copper penny repalceemnt blade works very well.

For a "Rough and Ready" sight, I'd contact Dave Higinbottham @ Lone Star Rifles:

http://www.lonestarrifle.com/
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Found a repro Rough & Ready sight by MVA:

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/v0.html
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Bill in Oregon

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks, Ray: I saw that sight on the MVA Web site, but see that it is machined for an octagon barrel, not the round military musket barrel. I am also looking at the Freund MoreLight site system that Buffalo Arms offers as being made by Freund and Bro. for this very application circa the 1870s-80s. Means cutting two dovetails, though.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

That's an interesting style of sight. I noticed that one is made to fit the Sharps.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4572.html
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

I got very lucky sometime ago.. Coydog sent me his original Shiloh full buckhorn to go along with my silver front blade sight :D
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
Bill in Oregon

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Just re-read John Hansen's piece in the Summer 2003 issue of SPG BP News, then scrolled down several pages here and saw the penny-blade discussion. Think I will try to mount a wider rear sight on the existing Remington military, then try a coin sight for the front. What I am having a hard time grasping is how copper could be better than coin silver, German silver or ivory, especially for use against a dark-robed critter like a bison.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

B in O ! first shoot the rifle to see if it will group before you cut the barrel ! You can also have the barrel bore reamed back to a good section and still leave the full length ! If you have to cut then use a barrel tennon used to pin Muzzleloader barrels to the stock as a front sight ! Cut the sight to the hight you want and use white model paint on the back of the sight blade for shooting in dim light ! It will show up against anything but a snow shoe rabbit ! JAGG
JAGG