SURPRISE - SURPRISE!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TYRVR

SURPRISE - SURPRISE!

Post by TYRVR »

I was at the range Monday working up some sight settings for my.45-90 with the Kelly sight......had gotten the chicken and pig settings and was doing some damage to the turkey swinger when "Lightning struck the blue gum!"....A.D.! about twenty feet in front of the cross sticks a huge gophor hole appeared! I had pulled the hammer back until I felt the click I THOUGHT was full cock.....not so, it was just the fly dropping back to block the half cock notch! the fly was about six thousandths too long and did not drop until within a hairs breadth of full cock.....this is what gave me the sensation of being at full cock! just a few strokes with a ceramic stone remedied the problem but I am here to shout......something like that will test your pucker string!
"Red" Hall, a some what well known shooter from Salem Va. who was a witness to my near involuntary bowel emptying, told me he had the same problem with one of his '74s also, he did not say if it was Shiloh or brand "X" from down the road......I am super glad this happened when and where it did as I would have been upset beyond words if this had happened at a match.....while tecnically the firearm was not broken.....it was still a condition that presents possible danger to the shooter and others, so take Ol'Tye's advice and check YOUR hammer for late fly release, if this happened to me....it could happen to you.
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Jim Kidwell

SURPRISE - SURPRISE!

Post by Jim Kidwell »

TY,
Since it is early January, low temperatures can cause an AD on a double set trigger set to a minimal trigger pull. FWIW..........Jim
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

Hi guys :D

Just to add my two cents worth, while competing in the long range nationals at Raton last year. My hi wall dropped the fly right out of the action - the pin had worked lose. Cost me points and one hell of a surprise when the gun went off, as the rifle was not quite in my sholder at the time.

Regards

Dave
TYRVR

Yep!

Post by TYRVR »

Jim...you are right about those sets....I learned years gone to NEVER set the trigger until I'm on the sticks!
Dave: who made the Hi-Wall that the fly fell out of?
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"