Which Paul Jones Bullet?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jerry Williams

Which Paul Jones Bullet?

Post by Jerry Williams »

I have a new gun in a new caliber coming (Shiloh 45-90). Well, i have decided I need a new bullet mold from Paul Jones to go along with this new gun. I can not decide between his #45001 and #45002. Any Recommendations for the Shiloh 2& 4/10"? I appreciate your thoughts.
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Maybe someone could shed some light on them both... I have looked at both of them seperately downloading them in my pics and then lightening them up to see the differance other than the names.

They are both the same wt some one explain please.
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
Bob Bloyer

Post by Bob Bloyer »

Jerry,
I shoot two of the PJ 45001 styles, one with the top driving band cut to .450 " for my highwall and one std with .458-9" driving bands which I shoot in my shiloh 45-70 and CPA 45-90. Both bullets work very well for me.
Montanan, I asked Paul the difference btwn the 45001 and 2 and he advised the nose on the 002 was more pointed than the more rounded one on the 001. Reckon that's why it's listed as a semi-spitz. Paul also advised he hasn't sold too many of the 002's. The 001's I have been shooting have done so well for me, didn't see any reason to try the 002.
The oal of the 001 is 1.440 " but I didn't ask Paul what the oal is on the 002. May be a difference. Don't know. You may want to call Paul if you are undecided on the 001 and 002. Bob
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

I have a super hard cast BHN of 18.0 550-gr that looks like the 01 of Paul Jones.... dang I wish they were softer.

I got a mass purchase after the owner of Cast King passed away and I still have over 1,000 of these left :roll:

With proper lube and load ya guys think they might shoot?
The Montanan

Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

FWIW--MT: what is the bullet's dia. & how does this compare to the bore's dia?

I've heard some Shooters claim that if a hard bullet is the same or slightly larger dia & the bullet is seated onto the rifling, there is a good chance that it may obturate upon firing & shoot reasonably well.

I think I would measure the bullet & the bore & if close, try some bullets w/ a BP lube.

If you notice leading, I would discontinue their use. I’ve read & heard it said that a harder lead alloy is much more difficult to remove from the bore than a softer alloy.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Jerry,

I have some experience with the Jones 45001. It is a good shooter. IMO it resembles the Lyman 457132 in looks and performance. In measurement, the Jones wins hands down. It is round. I've not been able to wring it out yet in my rifles but it looks good.

For some odd reason, the best .45 bullet I have in my inventory (for work to 400yds) is the old Lyman 457406. It is also my hunting bullet. It looks to be a compromise between the target and hunting crowd. With my lead it comes in at 495 grns. This SOB really came alive in the 45-90 and this is without the gas check. I bought that mold in 1967!

Now, I just said 400 yds, well I've not shot it any farther than that to date. But I think the buff's in Ackely will notice. Gotta remember, we have seven (7) big bore rifle events coming up in 2005, to include 1,000 yards, and did I hear 1,200 yards out there? Somebody said that. Probably Steve or Jay. If any of you folks out there care to join us feel welcomed. See our shooting schedule here: http://www.leadbucket.com/cvr/

TL
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Ray

I haven't tried them yet in the next BPC rifle.... only the copy Sharps which has gone up on the selling block, to help fund the next one.

I did use them in the copy Sharps and upon cleaning I checked the patches and found what else....???? really had to scrub the bore to get that shinny stuff out of there.

Well, I can always sell to the white smoke crowd or fasten center eyelets on them and sell a match pair for ear thingies that the woman wear :lol: or even sell em as fish weights :shock:
The Montanan

Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

To All:

Are the 50 caliber PJ moulds just as good as the 45's? If so, which one do you prefer?

If not, where would you go for a better one?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

I have both the 01 and 02 moulds. The 02 I had made with the front driving band reduced so that it could be seated farther out of the case. Both bullets shoot well in a number of different rifles. Both are Creedmoor designs with the ogive (nose) on the 02 being more quickly tappered than the 01. Both are designed for long range competition, and either would work well for you.

I haven't been able to do as much testing of these two bullets as I want, but both have shot well for me from 200 to 500 yds. Both weigh within a few grains of each other, and length of the 01 is 1.465 and the 02 is 1.425" That is as cast from 30-1 alloy.

So far, I don't have a preference of one over the other, but that may change with further testing. Good shooting, Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Timberlake: whats' youre allo for thre #457406?

Per my old 1973 edition of the Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook", it weights 475 grn.

Looks like the #457406 & the# 457121 will be added to my lists of moulds to look for @ the gun shows....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Jerry: I have a .45-2.4” w/ a Badger barrel & this spring, I’m going back to a heavier tapered bullet.

Right now I can’t prove that it will be any more accurate. But from what I‘ve been reading & watching, a tapered design should allow a little more powder by seating the bullet out further from the case & possibly seat it easier fouled throat.

I have--I believe it’s a Steve Brooks mould & design-- .45 cal mould w/ a slight taper that I’m going to run some bullets w/ & see if it will work.

However, before that, I need to do a chamber cast. Since the rifle seems to foul & lead @ the throat, I have real nasty suspicion that while the headspace is correct, the chamber is a bit long.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Ray,
I sold Ron Heilman a 4 cavity Lyman 457-406 mould two months back. I had previously had Ron remove the gas check from the 2 center cavities and this changed the weigh from 482 gr to 508 gr as cast 30:1
I have three different books that show that mould and each gives a different weight. Go figure? maybe the alloy? Lyman #2, 495 gr
wheel weight 475 gr, 30:1 482 gr.
Damned if I know.
Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Ray,

My lead is always 30:1, certified, out of Midway. Lyman molds are notorious for giving different things to different people. Must be because of that cherry thing always changing. I have two 457125 molds that won't cast between 15 grains of one another, same melt.

TL
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Timberlake, sounds like a few of the Lyman moulds that I had over the years. You think for as long that they’ve been doing this, that they’d get it right? You're smart getting lead & tin of known quality.

Trigger Dr: 4 cavities? How did you managed to hold on to it? You must have wrists like a gorilla.

On a more serious note, were you able to cast consistent bullets w/ a 4 cavity mould? I tried a few double cavities & never could get them to cast the same or w/in a reasonable weight spread. Then again, maybe in my younger days my casting technique probably was not as refined as it is now .
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Ray,
I had a tray for the mould to set upon. The weight is the main reason I sold it to Ron. IIRC Ron has a single cavity of the same bullet. As far as quality, the end cavities always had one side frosted and the other side wrinkeled. The two center cavities did a reasonably good job if I did my part. Yes, I have strong wrists... got them from holding Marines down whilst giving them shots. HE. HE. HE.
I never did cast woth a damn when I used all 4 cavities. Might get 1 good one out of every 3-4 tries. I think the heat retention was completely un even on the ends, and somewhat better in the center due to the wall thickness in the respective areas.
JIM
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation