which loading in 45-70 suitable for hunting bears?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Buck Matheson

Post by Buck Matheson »

Shooting a bison is one thing... It is just a big cow... However; shooting at a North American black or brown bear with a single shot rifle, who might take offence at being shot at and come over to do something about it, is another matter...

Bear hunting with a single shot rifle is not for the weak of heart or poor of aim... I would also strongly advise useing a factory loaded 45-70 ammo that is rated for dangerous game...

I can highly recomend Garrett 45-70 ammunition

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

Just my .02

Buck
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Buck Matheson wrote:Shooting a bison is one thing... It is just a big cow... However; shooting at a North American black or brown bear with a single shot rifle, who might take offence at being shot at and come over to do something about it, is another matter...

Bear hunting with a single shot rifle is not for the weak of heart or poor of aim... I would also strongly advise useing a factory loaded 45-70 ammo that is rated for dangerous game...

I can highly recomend Garrett 45-70 ammunition

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

Just my .02

Buck
Garrett cartridges are over rated and over priced.... period.

Many hunters take black bears here in the lower 48 with bows using 125 gr broadheads. Garrett hardcast bullets are not necessary to kill a black bear with. Besides they's loaded with that smokeless stuff too and this is about black powder loads.

If your using grease groove design bullets a good flat nose like below is all you need.

The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
Leatherstocking

Post by Leatherstocking »

KHR,
Thanks for your kind words.............I do live in a beautiful part of the Rockies, and enjoy getting away from the hords that are starting to over populate this part of the planet! I have worked with D.O.W. guys who have done the research for Grizz in our part of the world and there still remains no real evidence they are here. Often those who come to our part of the world from the east are not used to our many color varieties of "Black Bear". At the Museum of Natural History in Denver, there are color phases of Black Bear ranging from black to brown, cinnamon, blond, blue and solid white. I have seen blond bears that looked so much like a "brown" or Grizzly bear, in color and even sometime in size to be mistaken for one. However, back in .....I think in 1977, a female Grizzly mauled an outfitter just north of where we live. He was able to kill her with a broadhead that he repeatedly stabbed her with, as she was mauling him. No substantiated sightings since that time! Personally I hope they stay out of this country. I don't want to watch over my shoulder for Grizz! I have enough to worry about ill tempered blackies and "Hankie Heads" trying to spoil a hunt.

Agent,

My first 250lb bear was killed with a 58. cal. round ball on the charge at 25 yards. As someone else stated, you must be fully committed to the hunt of a black bear, but most importantly, the premise that shot placement is everything. Going into the field prepared is key. Learn to shoot accuratly, and in the rare event that you get a charging bear, remember you can't out run them or out climb them, therefore you must be resolve that you better drop him within 15 yards or he's likely to eat your lunch!

Be Blessed! Leatherstocking
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70
agent

Post by agent »

hi, its me again, sorry for my late answers but I hand no computer. :roll: .

And yes I know that hunting bears is very dangerous, especially with an singel shot rifle, but I won't hunt alone. And for any case of emergency I will take a sixgun in 357 magnum wiht me as a backup weapon.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Agent: I ‘dunno’ if I would depend upon a .357 as a backup when hunting bears. Seems to me that a .44 Mag might be a superior round fore the application.

Of course I knew an old hunter who claimed that when hunting dangerous game & having a small caliber revolver as a back up, save the last round for yourself….
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

There is one thing about hunting Bears with Single shot Rifles and Bows and Arrows and Pistols ! We only hear from the hunters who KILLED the Bear ! But we don't hear from the other's ! Why ? JAGG
JAGG
agent

Post by agent »

@ ray. I know that a 357 mag is not the best choice but as I have allready said: I will never hunt alone and with the right bullet placement my sharps will do the job.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

I have since 1965 hunted bears in the Williams Peak, Williams Fork River area.

The only thing that I have used has been a flattop Ruger 44 mag. The ammo is a 250 grain Keith style cast bullet over 10 grains of Unique powder.

I have never had a bear get away and have always had complete penetration. My normal shots are at less than 50 yards. I have at times recovered a couple of bullets that have penetrated the critter and into about another 6 inches of dirt where I dug them out.

Certainly your 45-70 is enough for bear.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly rifle.
JDM

Post by JDM »

The best way to keep a bear from hurting you when carring a 357.
1 cock the hammer"single action"
2 stick the muzzle in your mouth
3 pull the trigger
Works every time
Dave
Leatherstocking

Post by Leatherstocking »

JAGG,
I know of a lot of bear hunters here locally, more bow hunters than anything else, and don't know of a single case of one getting away....doesn't mean there hasn't been, just no one I know ever admitted to it. More likely with a bow shot, but more likely the bear survived if arrow missed vitals and major veins. 45-70 will do the job. Also know an outfitter in Wyoming who has killed two Grizz in camp with .41 mag......not something I would recommend! I carried a 3rd. model Dragoon my first bear hunt for back-up. Thankfully didn't need it. Over confidence can be unhealthy, but lack of confidence can keep you at home!

Leatherstocking
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70
agent

Post by agent »

thanks again for your answers. and I will borrow a 44 magnum revolver from a buddy as a backup weapon, but before I will go on a bear hunt I will practise a lot.