New RCBS Legacy Dies

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Nick B

New RCBS Legacy Dies

Post by Nick B »

On page 103 in Cabelas 2005 Shooting Catalog they have the new RCBS Legacy dies for $37.95
Calibers: 38-55
40-70
45-90
45-100
45-110
45-120
50-90
45-70 Cowboy
Sounds like a bargain for $37.95. Anybody know anything about them?
Hey MLV,whats the scoop on these? Nick
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Sounds like they finally figured it out that Lyman was killing them in these calibers and are trying to take away some of their business. I've used RCBS dies almost exclusively for years until I started loading BPCR. A set of RCBS dies for 45-110 is around $200 and the $40 set of Lyman dies I've been using for some time now work fine with the addition of a $17 custom expander.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

It's about time RCBS stopped shafting us shooters of these calibers. But they left out the 50-70!
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

I've ordered the .45-2.4 and .40-70ss. They're backordered. When they do come in, I'll put up a note. I'm sure there and other sho have also ordered a set. Also, on that page, they are selling 'cas' PJ .40 creedmore bullets. I'd like to see how they fly before ordering a set of mold.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Competition is a good thing.

Another source for die sets --inc. foreign & odd-ball calibers--& related reloading paraphernalia is “CH-4D” (CH Tool & Die & 4d Custom Dies)

http://www.ch4d.com/
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
dlemaster

Post by dlemaster »

Nick B
They already have the .50/70 dies at a reasonable price, less than $50.00 as I recall.
Hope this helps.

Regards, dave
" I love a good gun, for it makes a man feel independant and prepared, for either war or peace".
David Crockett 1834
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Just saw a set of C&H dies yesterday in 577-450 and they were quite well put up. decent quality good price ......Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
rcasto

Post by rcasto »

CH4D is located about 20 min from my house and I have some experience with them. They are great folks and Dave will talk to you for as long as you need to. They also make a lot of obscure dies for just about anything. That aside, I have found their quality to be hit and miss. Sometimes their dies will be just fine and other times you will wonder 'what were they thinking?' I now feel that the price savings is generally not worth it and view them as a die of last resort.
RC
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

racsto: over the yrs., I & a few other Shooters that I know have had nothing but good luck w/ Ch-4D.

Can you tell us a bit more about the problem? Did they replace the dies or what?
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
rcasto

Post by rcasto »

Ray,
I have had dies from them that worked just fine - no problem.

I had a 416 Rigby sizing die that put grooves on the outside of the case mouth, a 470 NE seating die that would cut into the bullet ( not due to the seating stem profile but because the die body itself was machined rough, a 470 NE shell holder that was lop-sided and a 3006 bushing style neck sizing die that would ruin every piece of brass that you put in it.

Their customer service is great, especially if you can drive right to the shop and show them. They have always been willing to replace or refund.
They are very friendly and helpful.

Do a search at forums.accuratereloading.com/eve and you will find other similiar experiences. Some people bless them and some curse them.

They can and do make quality dies, but it has been my experience and that of others that they have more rejects than they should.
RC