Deprimming at the range

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

oldway

Deprimming at the range

Post by oldway »

What dies (make) is best for deprimming the spent cartridges at the range? The cartidge i am shooting is the 45-110.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I use a set of pliers with a decapping rod pinned to the jaw on one side and a notched flat bar on the other side a la mike cash simple and efficient and inexpensive........Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

They are a little bit pricey, but I use the Pope-style capper/de-capper. It works just great and looks so kool. Have one in .45 calibre that handles .45/70 through .45/110 and one in .50 calibre that handles up through .50/90. I like 'em!

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,159.html
Lee Stone
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

I bought both of these for my 45-110 from Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/410804

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/540542

Both work just fine at the range and for under 30 Bucks you can't go worng. However be smarter than me and when you send in your order get yourself 2 shell holders and 2 decapping dies. That way you dont have to disassemble you powder compression die and you won't forget the shell hollder every time you go to the range.

I hate it when I have to do things twice because I didn't use my head the first time!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Lee: do you know who made your de- & re-capper?

Many years ago, I bought one from Jerry Simmons(?). Works on the same principle--uses RCBS shell holders & different length rods to de-cap the various calibers. Great tool.

They are a nice addition to the Shooting Kit.

Since my hands are a little on the large size, I bored out two small wooden balls so as the brush & the scrapper on the handles wouldn’t dig into my hands.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Delizar

Post by Delizar »

I have a De-Capper from Cal-Graf. Works well for me and falls in the mid range price wise of the solutions that I have found.

http://www.cal-graf.com/decaper.htm

Mark Hanson
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

I'm supposing he means depriming, or decapping.

I use a Lee hand press with a Lee universal decapping die and a 45-70 shell holder. Very easy to use.
Ted Kramer

Post by Ted Kramer »

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=246698& ... .jpg[/img] If this picture posting works, here's one I made one evening when I was bored. It works great and was very cheap too. I got the locking 6" "C" clamp at Menards Home Center on sale for a couple bucks. The "shell holder" is a 5/8" washer reduced to the same O.D. as the clamp pad and brazed onto it. Clearance for the spent primer is cut into the clamp pad. The deprimer rod is a 3/8" shaft with a 1/16" tension pin pressed into the end. The hole in the side of the 3/8" rod is for in case the 1/16" pin breaks, it can be broken off with a punch and driven out through the hole and a new one ($.04 at an auto parts store) put in. The lock nut on the adjuster screw is set so that the 3/8" rod doesn't quite bottom out inside the case. Next ones will be blued so they look a bit more "period" correct.

Ted K[/url]
Ted Kramer

deprimers

Post by Ted Kramer »

Sorry the pic got so big!
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

I use a LEE hand press with the appropriate shell holder and universal decapping die. Rbump
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I use a very old Ideal tong tool-it's steel and the handle is bored for the .45-70, rather than aluminum with an interchangable insert like the current Lyman version.

Clarence
oldway

Post by oldway »

Thanks to all. Really helpful.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ray, since you live right up here in God's Pacific NWet, get ahold of Gary Smith, and he will make you a deprimer with multiple heads that perfectly fit the cases you shoot. He made me one with screw in heads for.38-55, 40-65, and .45 with an extra long head for the .45-110.

They work perfectly, and are not much more than the Cal Graf, but are made out of aluminum with stainless pins that don't corrode. I love mine and wish I had gotten one much sooner. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

O'Poke: my Simmons Pope clone is set up for the calibers that I shoot. thanks....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
big country

de-capping

Post by big country »

I also use Lee hand press and universal de-capping dye,and this rig saved my day one time.I hand a new load that was not chambering,due to excessive fouling,in my RB. I found a seater die and seated bullet down just far enough as not to deform bullet,but gave me the clearance I needed to finish match. Was handy having that press out at the range.