Crappy casting today

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Gunny, glad to see you back on here. Well I'm ready to learn so tell me the secret to this. My casting has been very good mostly and the only thing I want to know is the bullet releasing from the mould comment. My only explanation I can come up with is the difference in bullet designs that I mentioned earlier, not sure that has anything to do with it or not, but only variable that made sense to me. I wasn't saying that I have to beat bullets out of the mould with any of my moulds, only that some required a tap or two to get them released, and then sometimes they drop out without any problem. So what's your take on this. To hot? Looking forward to your answer.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

BuckeyeShooter,

I went back and read your post, doesnt sound to me as if you are having any problems. There really arn't any "secrets" to this casting deal just good equipment and a little common sense and the ability to listen every once in a while. Probably the most important item is a good quality mould. Paul Jones and Steve Brooks both make very good if not great moulds. No shooter will ever go wrong with one of these two moulds, and these moulds alone are cabable of solving about 95% of most casting problems. The only other critical point in casting "I think" is temp, and by temp I mean both of them. Melt temp and mould temp both have to be taken very seriously. Neglect either one of these temps and you are not going to have good quality bullets and ease of casting. Get a grip on both of them and suddenly things start to get much better.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Buckeye, I would recommend going to Paul Jones web-site and printing out and reading his ideas on casting techniques, especially the part about pushing with your mould mallet or stick or club (whatever you use) against the lower right hand corner of the mould just as you open it. This practice and following his advice will probably cure your sticking problems. Gunny gives good advice too, so if you follow both, you should be able to make some great bullets. Randy

PS Gunny, good to see you posting again. Thought maybe you didn't like us anymore :!: :lol: Randy
Randy Ruwe
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Thanks guys, I really feel comfortable with my techniques. Omaha I do follow PJ's suggestions, unfortunately I sometimes forget to use the stick against the bottom of the mould which may contribute to my release problems sometimes. Gunny I do have a PJ mould which I just think is fantastic, but sometimes I will have a bullet that will hang up and takes a few taps with my stick to get it to drop and was just wondering if I was missing something. Like everyone else here I have a growing selection of moulds and I find that each one just has it's own character but I'm always willing to listen to others suggestions to see if I can get better results from any of them. Again thanks.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Buckeye, everyone has this problem of a bullet hanging up no matter what your procedure and meticulous care has been :? I think it has to do with getting in a rush and maybe not allowing enough time for the bullet and sprue to fully set up before cutting the sprue and opening the mould.

I am going to start checking and see if the bullets that on occaision do hang also have a rough sprue cut off mark or maybe smeared. I think that might be a tip-off. This past week, I was in a hurry to get some bullets cast and loaded for a match and cut some sprues a little early. While I shot pretty well during the match I had a couple of unexplained fliers. I think that the smeared, early cut offs were the problem.

It won't happen again. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Omaha Poke,

I know why you had those unexplained flyers, you didn't elevate your mind. :roll:

Kelley O. :twisted:
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Kelley, my mind was just lowered on the other forum :lol: :!: You aren't supposed to bring things up that happened elsewhere, are you :?: If so, I will remember that :evil: :wink: Randy
Randy Ruwe
ERICH

Post by ERICH »

Randy,
Did you shoot the bench rest match at Machias... Sorry we missed it. The Hood Canal Hooligans were all tied up at Mike Mooneys. We plan to shoot Larry's ram bash. Hope to see you there.
Cheers,
Erich
NRA LIFE