Loading 45-70 Blackpowder Cartridges

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gpeak

Right On Fly!

Post by gpeak »

Hi Paul,

What the 'fly said is right on target! Don't be scared off from BP by all the tech stuff that the serious competition shooters discuss. It's all good stuff mind you but that is something you work up to(maybe) as you gain experience. I too was somewhat intimidated by the"black powder reloading mystique" having had visions of an inadverdant air pocket blowing up my beloved Shiloh! Like all reloading BP requires attention to what you are doing and care in each step. With BP there are a couple of extra steps(wads & compression) as well as more intense brass cleaning but not a big deal. The rewards are great and it is great fun to shoot even(especially?) if you are not a "serious" competitor. For example I can be an avid sailor(I am) but not race. So don't feel you have to compete to be fully"in the game". Above all enjoy yourself! Good luck and welcome! :D :D
Craig

Straight shooting, straight talk.....the mark of a man.
Paul1874Sporter1

Post by Paul1874Sporter1 »

Hello Everyone,

I spoke with Bill Bagwell from GOEX, last Friday on the phone. I had sent an email to GOEX and he was the person that emailed me back. We talked for about 2 hours on the phone. I had a very enjoyable conversation with him where upon he passed on an immense amount of knowledge to me. I learned allot from him. I do appreciate all the help and info that you’re all passing on to me. Yet I’m also very interested in hearing from all of you on what you Shoot in BP, you know the make of your rifle, what model it is, and caliber of your rifles. What powder you prefer and what grain and type of bullet you prefer. This way it will give me a feel for what is common out there and what is not.
Paul
NRA Benefactor
RMBS Lifetime
FNAWS Lifetime
ASSRA Lifetime
NAHC Lifetime
HvyMtl

Reloading

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Paul,

You and your dad are going to love this stuff. I agree 100% with what Horsefly said. Its exactly what I did when I started about one year ago, my first group at my local monthly BP shoot was 5 shots at 100 yds. was 3/4" this even surprized me and I took first place for that month. So its not all that hard as long as you keep it simple to start with. Good luck when you get your new rifle and if you need any help these guys are great and they will be happy to help you and your dad out as will all the good people at Shiloh, make sure you read all the books that have been recommended, I got my BP reloading info. from the books and here on the forum.

P.S. I just read your last post prior to posting this, I have a Ped. 45/70, Farmingdale Shiloh 45/70, and an 1873 Springfield trapdoor 45/70, I also shoot two paper cartridge rifles in 54 cal. I use Goex cartridge grade BP for the 45/70's and am just starting to experiment with 2 and 3f grade. I still have not enlarged the flash hole in my shells but that is on the agenda for this season. Its was the Farmer. Shiloh 45/70 that performed so well in the above statement.

Ken
Paul1874Sporter1

HvyMtl,

I’ve been reading allot of material in order to make sure I’m ready. My Sharps is supposed to be in this coming week’s batch of rifles that they are starting up. What length barrel are your 45-70s? Wants I get it and start shooting it, it will take some getting use to the arc compare to what I’m use to. I’m leaning towards GOEX ffg. I have not heard anyone bragging about Pyrodex.
Paul
NRA Benefactor
RMBS Lifetime
FNAWS Lifetime
ASSRA Lifetime
NAHC Lifetime
ShawnAgne

Post by ShawnAgne »

I've loaded pyrodex RS in 45-70 and 50-70 for my Trapdoors (M66, 68, and 73). While I get ok groups in my M68 my M73 doesn't shoot that great, and I'm thinking it's probably the powder. I'm going to load up the same round but with BP and compare it. Pyrodex works, but BP is where it's at.....
Paul1874Sporter1

I’ve got some good news. My Rifle is in the process of being put together. Those of you that know about Shiloh, they make everything there by hand, thus that’s why it takes longer to put the batch of rifles that they are producing at the time together. I’ve been staying in touch with Shiloh on the rifle.
Paul
NRA Benefactor
RMBS Lifetime
FNAWS Lifetime
ASSRA Lifetime
NAHC Lifetime
Paul1874Sporter1

Hello Everyone,

I finally received my Sharps Rifle, and well it’s an incredible site to look at. I’m sure that I’m going to have years of fun with my rifle. Under normal circumstances, I usually play around with the new things that I get before reading the owners manual, yet with the Sharps I’ve decided to read everything first. So far this has been a wise decision.

Good news, the end of the hunting season has turned out very good for me. I ended up with a very good Blacktail on the last Wednesday of the season about 2 weeks ago. One of the other hunters from the club pushed it my way and all I had to do was sit my butt down and wait for it to run to me. My buck turned out to be a very nice 3 pointer with exceptional eye guards. 2 days later, my Dad killed his deer, a nice fork horn with tall forks. It was great seeing my Dad kill what may be the last deer hill shoot in his life. I think at the age of 78 that he has hunted his last year. Most of the deer this season on the ranch that I hunt on killed their deer in the last few days of the season. We were lucky this year that we were in the rut that last 3 weeks of the season. The same thing happened last year. I ended up with the best buck of the season on the ranch. I’ll get my plaque for that this Saturday at the end of the season hunting party. This will be my second one since we started scoring in 1993. And I already picked up my deer meat from my butcher last Sunday.

I’m getting ready to get the last of my reloading stuff. Soon I’ll be shooting my Sharps.

OK, how has everyone else done? It’s been very quiet from all of you. :lol:
Paul
NRA Benefactor
RMBS Lifetime
FNAWS Lifetime
ASSRA Lifetime
NAHC Lifetime
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Sounds like you have had a nice hunting season, here it is Oct. 5th and we are in the middle of a blizzard here in NE Montana, it wa 87 degrees here on Saturday, what a turn around...my Shiloh hopefully will be here mid-2006, good luck loading the BP, I just read through the posts on this thread again, and the advice for starting out simple is so true......good luck.
Paul1874Sporter1

Montanasharps,

Yes, my hunting season ended just perfect. Sure hope, that I’m not the only one that has such a good ending to my hunting season. Wow, what a drastic change in your weather out there. Does that happen a lot out your way? Has hunting season started there for you yet? I would hate to hunt in a blizzard. We have had to cancel our morning hunts on opening day this season for the first time due to would you believe fog. It was so thick that we could not see more then a few feet.

Hey, if you can keep me in mind I would like to know how you like your Sharps when you finally get it. And what Sharps and specs did you order for your Rifle? Keep in touch.
Paul
NRA Benefactor
RMBS Lifetime
FNAWS Lifetime
ASSRA Lifetime
NAHC Lifetime
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Unusual for this time of year especially this much, upland bird been open since the 1st of Sept., pheasant and antelope open this weekend, general deer and elk the 23rd, my Shiloh is a Long Range Express, went to Big Timber in June and picked my own wood, and by the time Heather finished, I had options that I had not intended to purchase, I hope she gets some commission, the wood is something else, going to be a long wait now, especially where guys are talking about theres being done. Got an email from a friend at Baker Mt. and they have around 16" of snow on the level, trees down, powerlines etc. but supposed to be back in the 60's in a couple of days.....we live in the eastern part of the state...no mountains

charlie
Orville

Post by Orville »

Montanasharps

This blizzard put my gun shop project on hold for a few days but a least the walls and roof are up with tyvac and tar paper on. My creedmore should be done some time this month. Most of Williston had no power this morning I had to lite some kerosine lamps.

Orville
Paul1874Sporter1

Orville & Montanasharps,

I hope that you both and everyone out there that is in this blizzard are OK and make it through this Blizzard in one piece. I have been watching the weather channel and it does not look good. It looks like everything from Big Timber to North Dakota has been hit by this blizzard. Sounds like this kind of caught many off guard. Be safe and good luck getting through this blizzard.
Paul
NRA Benefactor
RMBS Lifetime
FNAWS Lifetime
ASSRA Lifetime
NAHC Lifetime
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Orville, I am looking forward to getting a personal peek at your Creedmore...
Whitworth Newby

Re: Loading 45-70 Blackpowder Cartridges

Post by Whitworth Newby »

Hey Y'all , I need to know if I use big rifle or big pistol primers. Also beer coaster primers or wonder wads?
thanks
K Carmichael
Coltsmoke

Re: Loading 45-70 Blackpowder Cartridges

Post by Coltsmoke »

You are on a thread that is 18 yr. old, you need to start a new one. :wink: Some of these shooters could be dead and gone. Some things have changed since 2005.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.