Muzzle Velocities for the 45-110

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gregg Simon

Muzzle Velocities for the 45-110

Post by Gregg Simon »

Have any you 45-110 shooters ever found a particular muzzle velocity that the 110 likes? So much of the chat seems to relate to a wide variety of variables but I don't remember seeing a lot of information on the muzzle velocity.

Thanks,
Gregg
RMulhern

Muzzle velocity

Post by RMulhern »

Each one of these rifles is an 'entity' onto itself! What works for me.....probably won't work for you! But with a 550 PJ Creedmoor you're looking at something between 1275-1325 fps using 105 grs. Goex 1F. :roll: :roll:
Gregg Simon

Post by Gregg Simon »

Sharpsman,

Understand that all rifles are unique individuals. But after 1-1/2 years of testing I have not been able to find a particular velocity that shoots better than another and I'm wondering if anyone else has.

Your reply is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info.

Gregg
RMulhern

Velocity

Post by RMulhern »

MR45110

I don't pay much attention to chrony readings; very seldom have I ever used one...even though I have one of the best. It's what comes up....AT THE TARGET....that I pay attention to mostly! If it shoots GREAT......I've done all I need to do. :lol: :roll: :lol:
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Golly gee Sharpsman, you may be on to something there…

The KISS Principle lives.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Mr 45110,

Catchy handle! :lol:

While I agree totaly with Rick aka the Sharpsman that the target tells the story, I do not quite agree with him on chrono workings. IF a load has a High ES and SD then you wont hit squat at 1000 yards with these guns.

Load has to be tuned for that range period.

Bottom line is let the gun tell you what it likes, and let the target tell you what WORKS.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

I’m going to borrow Kenney’s phrase on the answers above.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.
But I will drink what the horses drink, never got to liking the Whiskey.
I don’t think there is one velocity that works for all rifles. If that was the case it sure would make it simple.

Kurt
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Kenny and Sharpsman,

I think you are both right, but for a bit of clarification: the absolute velocity is really of no matter, but a chronograph verification of consistency is a reasonable predictor of performance on the target. The lower the extreme spread and the smaller the standard deviation, the better the bullet should perform at extended ranges. From what I have heard, however, the 45-2 7/8" seems to come into its own at about 1300 fps, give or take.
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
RMulhern

Chrono's

Post by RMulhern »

Smokin

I KNOW...that there's a world of difference between smokeless and blackpowder; especially the calibers we shoot! But.....

consider this: One of my favorite loads when I was shooting HP comp for a 600 yd. load was a 190 gr. Sierra ahead of 42.0 grs. of IMR 4064 out of my match rifle. This load was WIDELY used my many HP shooters and it would shoot very consistently INSIDE the X ring from 600 yds...that's 6" worth!

It was very common to find an extreme spread of 49 fps but....it still shot into the x ring!!
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Go figure!! :lol:
Smokin

49 fps

Post by Smokin »

Sharpsman,

I never paid as much attention to smokless loads as I have to black powder loads, but your anecdote rings true as I've heard similar comments from other HP shooters. A small challenge here: do a little load adjustment for your BP rifles until you get a 50 fps ES or bolder load and then take loads and rifle out to your range and try to ring steel. I'll hazard the guess that things won't work nearly as well as that .30 caliber smokeless load. Of course, that was with an IMPROVED Military Rifle powder.
Perhaps with an HMR load (HISTORIC Military Rifle) we would have to work again to find the small deviations that us hangers-on-to-nostalgia seem to need. Perhaps it is as easily explained away as what worked for us when youthful and zestful no longer stands us in good stead while in our rheumy and tremorous dotage. :shock:

--Dotful :lol:
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Could the difference in accuracy be in the starting muzzle velocities. 50fps deviation at 2800 fps is about 1.8% deviation. 50 fps deviation at 1300 is 3.8%. Also, HP bullets are less effected by the wind because of their less drag.
Lloyd
RMulhern

Velocity

Post by RMulhern »

Lloyd

You're a little high on your velocity figure at 2800 fps. Most I ever chronographed with the 190 HPSMK out of my Match Rifle using IMR 4064 was 2590 fps! :lol: :roll:
Kenny Wasserburger

Rick,

That figure you gave is close to what I used to run my 168's outa my gas gun. And it does hold the X ring pretty well. But as Bruce and that other gent pointed out this does not transpose to well to BPCR long Range. Which is somthing me and the old Rdnck have tried to point out to you many times!!! Big GRIN!!!!

However a 48 fps spread with a 1300 fps load in one of these rifles will not hold the target frame let alone a ring on the target.

Best scores to date for me in Creedmoor have been with loads that ran 1320+fps and Sd's of 3-4 fps and ES of 11!

I shot my first BPCR Creedmoor match at Raton in 1996 the very first one in over 100 years. Been shooting BPCR Long range ever since.

Once you get to 1000 yards even the best loads sometimes dont do well. Things get real different from 8 to 1000.

AH the Quest never ends!

Kenny Wasserburger
Knight Commander FES

RMulhern

Velocities

Post by RMulhern »

Kenny

<< Which is somthing me and the old Rdnck have tried to point out to you many times!!! Big GRIN!!!! >>

I'm highly AWARE of the fact that BPCR is a whole 'nother tater' than HP and even though I haven't chronographed these loads I'm shooting....when I do get a chance I'd bet that they are well within the SD's that you'd want!

I'll let you know soon!! :lol: :roll: :lol:

Has it quit snowing??
Kenny Wasserburger

Rick,

It had quit but its snowing tonight was snowing in Big Timber and Billings yesterday!

Keeps the riff raff outa the country.

:lol:

let me know, I would hazzard a guess that your not quite down to 11 fps and sd's of 3 yet!

I dont think your using the primers I am.

:roll:

Kenny