first shots fired 45/110 !!!!!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

oregon

first shots fired 45/110 !!!!!

Post by oregon »

after reading as many posts as i could find here about the 45/110,i fired my first pp 45/110 yesterday !!! now for the questions ...
only problem i had was the last 6 or8 inches of the barrel had some hard fouling in it .. i was wondering is this do to the wrong lube or something else????
the load i used was 110 grains of fg goex compressed .400 a card wad 1/4 inch greese cookie a card wad 550 grain pp bullet wraped with 100% cotton paper .023 thick..
the fouling didn't seem to bother the group i shot though 5 shot group all in the x ring about a 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards..
Jubilado

Post by Jubilado »

Are you getting a soft "lube star" at the muzzle? That's one sign that the lube is doing its job, but not necessarily the whole story. What kind of lube are you using?

Paul
First I shot over, then I shot under; the third time I missed.
oregon

Post by oregon »

i'm useing ox yoke bullet lube its the only kind i could find around here ..
there was a slite oily film on the end of the barrel but thats it ..
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

oregon I tried some the other day with ox yoke wads , one set with 1 wad and 1 with 2 the 2 wad one was a lot cleaner .........Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Jubilado

Post by Jubilado »

The lube could be the source of your leading problem. I'm hesitant to criticize something I've never used, like Ox Yoke, but I'd suggest that you try one of the well known lubes formulated for BPCR shooting, like SPG, DGL, or maybe White Lightning. Sources include Buffalo Arms, Shiloh, and Sagebrush Products. Try it and see what results you get. Like I said, you want to see a distinct lube star at the muzzle after a few shots. You shouldn't really need a grease cookie for most shooting, provided your bullet has the grooves to carry enough lube. I'm still kinda a newbie at this game, so anyone else want to weigh in here?

Paul
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I mentioned the wads cause I used them with good success,and they were easy perhaps add more lube or a scraper wad of some kind in addition to the lube. I also noticed the fouling was a bit harder than when using the grease groove bullets ,but didnt cause problems . so an adjustment of the lube volume or brand change would probably help as well
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
oregon

Post by oregon »

i'm useing paper patch bullets so no greese groves or leading at all..just some bp fouling in the last 6 or 8 inches of the barrel ..I was wondering if this was normal or if i had a lube problem ..
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Did you use a blow tube?

If so, how many breaths & did you use the same # of breaths ea. time?
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
oregon

Post by oregon »

i don't have a blow tube yet but i will soon ..how do i go about makeing a blow tube ?
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I think not utilizing a blow tube was a part , if not the problem.

The below link has information pertaining to the fabrication & use of a blow tube:

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Intr ... oading.pdf

Buffalo Arms has them for sale:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,3.html

As does Shiloh:

http://www.shilohrifle.com/catalog/adva ... ecfe5d1c3e
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Jubilado

Post by Jubilado »

Yep, you need to get a blow tube and learn how to use it. One important thing is not to get a tube that is too short, so that some of the moisture ends up in the chamber. Not a good thing. That's why using a cartridge case as part of your blow tube is a good way to make sure that all of your breath ends up in the barrel, and not in the chamber.

Paul
oregon

Post by oregon »

blow tube ordered from buffalo arms !!!!
ok now a question ... why does it just foul in the last 6 or 8 inches of the barrel ???
the rest of the barrel is almost as clean as if i was useing ( don't know if i should say that word here ) smokeless powder ..
Smokin

Blow tubes

Post by Smokin »

oregon,

If you need a blow tube before the BA one arrives, an easy way to make one that will work for temporary use... is to get a length of 3/8" OD tubing and drill out the primer pocket on a sacrificial case to 11/32". Some heating and/or squeezing of the tubing will allow you to cram the tubing into the back end of the case. Shazaam, you're in blow tube city. Chucking the case into a lathe and boring out the .45 caliber case to about 7/16" and turning a brass hose barb down enought to be soldered or epoxied in place to be fitted with a larger diameter tube will enable you to blow with less resistance, but the simple approach works too. The first method can be done with a pair of pliers, some padding for preventing damage to the cartridge case, and a variable speed drill triggered to slow. Good luck
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

Oregan, You have three ways to manage the fouling. (1) blow tube, (2) Bore Pigs (check topics in this chat room) or (3) wipe with a wet patch then a dry patch after each shot. You can't just keep shooting these things without fouling accumulating and shortly accuracy going south. By far the fastest and easiest is either (1) or (2). Good luck
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
oregon

Post by oregon »

Jerry ,
I have a blow tube ordered from buffalo arms should be here by wendsday..
What is very puzzleing to me though is why after 6 shots is only the very last 6 or 8 inches of the barrel the only place i have any fouling ..the rest of the barrel was clean as a whisle????
Is it normal without a blow tube for just the very muzzle of the barrel to foul or could it be my greese cookies are to thin or maybe the wrong kind of lube or not a good enough lube ???