45-110 vs. 50-90

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BrushCountryAg03

45-110 vs. 50-90

Post by BrushCountryAg03 »

Howdy everyone,

My question regards the 45-110 & 50-90 in terms of strengths and weaknesses. Which is the better all-around cartridge from the standpoint of accuracy. I would like an honest oppinion before I order my Sharps rifle.

Thanks,

Will
El Paso Pete

Post by El Paso Pete »

I have got a 50-90 and have had no problems making accurate loads for it. I shoot the PJ 650 gr. Creedmoor @30:1 and 91.5 grains of swiss 1.5F. The reason for the 91.5 grains is to give me about a 1/16" powder compression. It kicks a bit but shoots real good.

I don't have a .45 but have read many post from fellers that have 45-110 and 45-120 trying to find a good load. From what I've read nobody seems to have much trouble with the 45-70 or 45-90.

It makes me wonder if maybe we can only burn around 90 grains in these 32" to 34"barrels. Maybe 110 grains don't give a complete burn and an incomplete burn may not be consistent and giving them accuracy problems.
Mules, Whiskey, Diamonds, Nails, Gold Mines, Fly Swatters, Barbed Wire, Oil Wells, Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprisins Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Will I dont have a 110 so I cant speek for it. But I have shot one and seen good accuracy from them. I did have a 3-1/4 that shot very good once I found a bullet that worked in the large free bore barrel.
But as far as the .50-90 I have it is just as good as any of my other calibers. And it seems to be a little more forgiving with a load then my smaller calibers (.40-.45). I use two bullets a 685 grain HP and a 718 +or - depending what alloy I use. I loaded it from 98 to 110 grains of 1F and it is pretty consistant. I would recument you putting a recoil buffer in the stock, it makes it like a healthy .45-90 load.

Kurt
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I would opt for the .45- 2 7/8” --AKA .45-110.

As far as accuracy, I haven’t seen .50’s of any chambering in the winners’ circle. May have happened, but I can’t recall seeing any .50’s posted in the match results. Most of the winners & shooters utilize one of the of the various .45 & .40 chamberings & there must be a reason for this--besides 'copy-cats.'

If you want information about the .45-2 7/8“, there are two prolific posters on this boards--rdnck & Kenny Wasserburger-- who are probably the most experienced .45-2 7/8” shooters around.

I’d advise you to do a search for their posts & read what they say ‘bout this caliber. It would also pay you to do a search of the calibers that you are querying & see what has been posted.

I have a Sharps .45-2.4” (AKA .45-90) & a .45-110. Both of these rifles shoot w/ in my standard of accuracy--1.5-2 MOA. W/ my eye sight & iron sights, that is all I expect. But I think w/ more careful load development, both of these will shoot better.

As w/ any caliber, careful load preparation & experimentation is the key. Messers. Wasserburger & rdnck--as well as others--proved that the bigger .45s will shoot & shoot very well indeed....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Crash Landing

Post by Crash Landing »

Bush
In regards to the 45-2 7/8 (45-110) vs. the 50-2 1/2 (50-90), a little historical perspective might shed some light on your choice. The Big Fifty was only offered for a couple of years by the original Sharps company and was replaced by the better performing 45 straight walled cartridges. It was the 45-2 7/8 inch that was considered the archetypal buffalo gun and wreaked such havoc on the herds at the end of the 1870’s. I have owned Shilohs in both 45-2 7/8 and 50-2 1/2 and found the 45 to be the more accurate. I have also since sold both as I couldn’t see the 2 1/2 inch 50 offered noticeable difference over the 50-70 Gov’t and the 45 just plain kicked so much I got tired of shooting it. I have a 45-2.4 inch now and much prefer the lessened recoil.
Hope this helps
Randy W