Tempilaq

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bombay club

Tempilaq

Post by Bombay club »

:D Gentlemen,has anybody used 'Tempilaq" when annealing cases,does it work? how hot does the brass have to be? to anneal,thanks in advance!
Smokin

How hot

Post by Smokin »

Bambay club,

As I understand it, Tempilaq is a tell tale. You buy the Tempilaq by temperature rating and when you heat the material it has been applied to, to the temperature the stuff if is rated for, the Tempilaq melts and you're there. What you are looking for is about a 675 degree stick. The critical temperature for annealing brass is somewhere between about 650 and 675 degrees. Anything more is a waste of heat and anything greatly more, such a getting to the point of incandescence, can make the brass way, way too soft. Good luck.
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

smokin
thanks & do you aircool or immerse in water? :D
Troll

Post by Troll »

Immersion in water would be quenching, which would make it hard and brittle. Air dry.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Troll,

For non-ferrous materials water quench softens. In my opinion, air cooling is just as good as a cold water quench, it just isn't as fast, if time is a concern.

TL
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

:D gentlemen thank you for your help,hopefully my next annealing session is better than my last one.
Jody Reb

Temperature sensitive crayons

Post by Jody Reb »

I am a relative newcomer to the annealing process. I bought a couple of temperature sensitive crayons from McMaster-Carr and they work very well in the annealing process. They are available in different temperature ranges. The ones I bought are for 650 degrees.

I ordered them online one afternoon and they were on my doorstep the next afternoon. I also purchased a Lee lock stud and shellholder for my caliber and slowly spin the cases with a cordless drill while I'm annealing.

It works great.
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Bombay club,

My understanding of annealing brass is that the heating does the annealing, or softening, and the means of cooling have little effect on that process. Water cooling will prevent excess heat from migrating to unwanted areas such as the case head where softening is not good. Generally the amount of heat correctly applied to the mouth of the case is insufficient to anneal the head, so air cooling works too. I water cool mine only because the water cushions the fall when I drop the cases and I don't have to be careful where I set them. Good luck

ps, McMaster Carr has proved to be an excellent company to trade with. Their service is fantastic.
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

:D thanks again for sharing,I ordered some temp sensitive crayons today from McMaster Carr & will try my hand at it soon as they get here!
SAUL

Post by SAUL »

How many times do you guys use the cartridges before annealing again????
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Saul,

I know shooters that anneal every time and then I have me and I anneal about every 5th firing. Probably going to have to redo some cases by the end of the summer for the 45-90. I do not anneal the cases used for paper patching. Last summer Steve Witt shot that 98/100 using freshly annealed cses. At least we have an idea that it doesn't hurt anything.

TL
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau