Question for Sharps hunters

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

abenson

Question for Sharps hunters

Post by abenson »

So I just made the final payment on my rifle so that means it ought to be here in time for PA's hunting season...yay!

My question is how do you guys carry your rifles when hunting? Is it safe in the half cock position? Mostly I stand hunt (on the ground...no tree climbing for me thanks :)) so it won't be a big issue most of the time...but do I need to have it unloaded when moving around? Funny that I never thought of this before...

-A
A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone.

Sporter #3 in .45-70 w/ 30" standard weight barrel, semi-fancy wood w/AA finish, pewter tip, steel buttplate and bone & charcoal pack finish.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Muzzle control and half cock works for me. It hasn't worked real well from the perspective of a decent number of elk and antelope however. They died I'm afraid.

If you get into something especially ugly, it is easy enough to unload, but normally HC and muzzle control is good enough for me. BTW, I hunt alone- which makes this all the easier.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

i carry my gun on half cock with shell in the chamber when away from the car and on the hunt.. it may interesting to note if you get a big one come right out in front of you- to stop the horrendus "click" when you cock, you can pull the trigger, pull the hammer all the way back, and release the trigger and lett the hammer down for silent cocking.. this works for percusstion and flinters also.. they also have loud clicks.. this is very dangerous if done improperly and must be understood perfectly, and executed exactly correct by the competent rifleman doing it... i would not recomend using the set trigger while hunting espesially the first year if you have a newly aquired rifle, or cold weather , with or around another person, or when wearing gloves.. it is great for tough small dots on peices of paper, or gongs long ways away, but hardely nessesary for a deer at 100 yards... good luck dave...
Redhawk1

Post by Redhawk1 »

I carry mine on half cock and loaded. :D
If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.

SHILOH 1, NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member
Leatherstocking

Post by Leatherstocking »

AMEN on the set trigger comment from Dave.....................I lost a monster antelope buck cause the gun went off before I was set.......my fault but I never used the set trigger again while hunting.............and actually don't use it for target as well as my whole motivation for "target practice" is to get better at my hunting. I too carry rifle on half cock. Also in carrying my Business rifle I use a slip on shotgun sling if I have to climb a ridge or hill. I have got into the habit of carrying my sling and survival gear in a canvas haversack as opposed to back pack or fanny pack....................you guys in England and Canada...stop laughing :lol: I am at the gym every day right now working on getting my cardiovascular up and working on my upper body strength so that toting 10 1/2lbs of rifle around ain't no big thing!
Good hunting and be Blessed! Leatherstocking
"Fear God and take your own part" Theodore Roosevelt

Shiloh Business 45-70
Brent

Post by Brent »

I prefer to use set triggers all the time. I'ver had a problem except the one time I forgot to set a trigger on a very close deer - missed by two miles I think. Anyway, I much prefer sets in hunting and targets and always use them.

For carrying a rifle, I use a lace on sling sold by Cabelas for muzzleloaders. It laces around the buttplate and then loops over the barrel - no marring at all. Does not interfere with my shooting, and it carries just a little easier than the english slip sling because it carries the butt a little higher and cannot slide up under the lever or get in the way of the trigger hand or the triggers themselves.

This last part is especially an issue with normal straight stock sporters.

Just what works for me.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
KHR

Post by KHR »

I carry loaded at half cock. But I am real careful about crossing obstacles or climbing trees. always unload first.
Brent, I'm gonna look into your sling idea, does it work well with military butts?
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Brent

Post by Brent »

KHR wrote:Brent, I'm gonna look into your sling idea, does it work well with military butts?
:-)
keith
Yes, My rifle has a military butt (or crescent butt as I like to call it). Any Buttstock will work.

If you can't find it in cabelas, let me know. I find it under bp accessories I think. I put a 3/4" leather wad between my lace-on and the butt to add length.

Brent
abenson

Post by abenson »

Those slip on slings looked like a good idea to me, I'm glad to hear they'll work out ok.

I'd wondered about using the set trigger in a hunting situation or not. I've read folks who recommend never using and those who say go ahead; depends on how you train I guess. Seems like if you use the set trigger every time you shoot the gun, you'd be unlikely or at least less likely to make a flub with it even in a hunting situation. Is the trigger, unset, that heavy?

Sounds like half-cock it is :)
A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone.

Sporter #3 in .45-70 w/ 30" standard weight barrel, semi-fancy wood w/AA finish, pewter tip, steel buttplate and bone & charcoal pack finish.
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

Brent,

If i remember right, you also use a tang sight when hunting. When the rifle is slung over your shoulder, does this combination create any additional issues?? Going through brush, trees, etc? I assume you leave it folded down, do you have a cover for it?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. _ Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson
Brent

Post by Brent »

Stillwater, I use a midrange MVA sight. I fold it back and it never gets in the way and I do not use a cover. Going through brush is no problem. I don't lead with my rifle. When the brush is REALLY thick, I have the rifle in my hand and there my fist over the forearm and my wrist and arm basically act as a windscreen to shield the sight. Frankly, I don't think about the darn thing. It is just there when I need it.

Brent
Tallperson

Post by Tallperson »

That is the real deal with how you carry your gun, and or how you shoot it. Make a choice and do it the same way each time , and every time.. Then there is no confusion and your actions become reflex. If you carry loaded and at half cock always. Practice at the range cocking and bringing the rifle to shooting position in one smooth motion. Then you are ready to do this and firing at a gong or other positive reinforcement. When you do this consistently you are absolutely ready for the buck or bull or bruin that jumps right under your nose . Your reflex will be to cock, shoulder, aim and fire in one motion.... Result dead critter, and it will happen so fast that you will be wondering yourself how it all happened.
Same with the set trigger issue, if you decide to use them, use them all the time. It will become reflex to reach for the front stud set it and slip that digit back to the big noise switch. This will all come together in your cock , set, shoulder, aim and shoot reflex.... But you have to practice.. Gunfighters didn't get fast by leaving their pistol in the holster. Consistency is the name of the game, do the same thing over and over and over untill it is secound nature. Golf, Bowling , archery, horseshoes. It is all just making the same correct motions everytime.
There is an amazing amount of knowledge on this website. Take it all in, tryit out, then figure out what works the best FOR YOU !!

Give'em hell and good shootin'
Tallperson
45-120 Longrange Express 34" barrel Shoots a long way and hits 'em real hard.
Tallperson

Post by Tallperson »

That is the real deal with how you carry your gun, and or how you shoot it. Make a choice and do it the same way each time , and every time.. Then there is no confusion and your actions become reflex. If you carry loaded and at half cock always. Practice at the range cocking and bringing the rifle to shooting position in one smooth motion. Then you are ready to do this and firing at a gong or other positive reinforcement. When you do this consistently you are absolutely ready for the buck or bull or bruin that jumps right under your nose . Your reflex will be to cock, shoulder, aim and fire in one motion.... Result dead critter, and it will happen so fast that you will be wondering yourself how it all happened.
Same with the set trigger issue, if you decide to use them, use them all the time. It will become reflex to reach for the front stud set it and slip that digit back to the big noise switch. This will all come together in your cock , set, shoulder, aim and shoot reflex.... But you have to practice.. Gunfighters didn't get fast by leaving their pistol in the holster. Consistency is the name of the game, do the same thing over and over and over untill it is secound nature. Golf, Bowling , archery, horseshoes. It is all just making the same correct motions everytime.
There is an amazing amount of knowledge on this website. Take it all in, tryit out, then figure out what works the best FOR YOU !!

Give'em hell and good shootin'
Tallperson
Tallperson

Post by Tallperson »

Sorry guys evidently I hit the send button twice.. Damn big fingers
Tallperson
Minnesota AL

Hunting

Post by Minnesota AL »

What Dave said on thumbing hammers back with the trigger pulled, to eliminate the click sounds, is right on.

You better practice that a couple dozen times with an empty gun. Slightly pulling the hammer, pulling the trigger, pulling the hammer all the way back, then letting go of the trigger before you let go of the hammer is not a natural set of moves. I did it perfectly once when needed in the field with my Trapdoor and I was talking myself through the steps so loudly in my mind it's a wonder the buck didn't hear me or see my lips moving. Man that was hard to let go of that trigger and even harder to ease that hammer into full cock.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822