Questions

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Wainer

Questions

Post by Wainer »

Questions:
I'm getting cupping on my bullet bases when fired and burn coming up around the wad. What do I need to do? Using a 45-100 with a .060 fiber wad, ffg

What's the consensus among you guys about what's a better wad, Poly or veg fiber?

Also, In general, what's better full length or neck sizing for better accuracy?

Thanks, Don
The tomb is still empty.Peace brother.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

In my 2.6 I am using poly wads; lately of the 0.060 thickness. Veggy wads should work also. What is their diameter? For whatever reason it sounds like you are getting gas cutting past the wad. I do not full length resize. I have had success with neck sizing only in the 2.6 I tried thumb seating and the accuracy was not as good; even with the bullet right on the lands. I have had success with 87 grains of Swiss Fg (minimal compression) and also with 100 grains of Goex cartridge compressed 480 thousandths. Next weekend I am trying 96 grains of Goex Fg compressed 480 thousandths behind a Paul Jones 45001 Creedmoor. This bullet weighs 536 grains in 20-1 alloy. - Mike
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

Wainer, I am not sure I can help, however, I would definetly try PolyWads as I think they seal the bore better. Use 0.060". In my 45-90 I use Poly Wads but have found the 0.030 work just fine. As to sizing, once the case have been full length resized and fire the first time to fire form them, I would only neck size them from then on. Or not size them at all. Try both ways using poly wads and see if accuracy improves. Good Luck.
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
bwbayless

Post by bwbayless »

Wainer,

Just out of curiosity what barrel length and powder charge are you using?

Bob
Wainer

Questions

Post by Wainer »

I'm loading 90 gr of ffg Goex with a BR2 primer compressing about .350 with a PJ 45001 bullet cast 30:1. 32 inch heavy barrel #3 sporter
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Hi Guys,
I would like to know if those of you using poly wads have experienced any signifcant case stretching or seperation. I have seen that a couple of times locally. I have had very good luck with .030" King wads in a variety of rifles. My experimentation indicated that a .060" wad cushioned the bullet base too much.
Wainer, it sounds like you may be using a bullet alloy too hard to bump up. In my experience, a thin hard wad combined with the right alloy will seal the bore and not allow gas cutting. I have recovered many of my fiber wads and they look like they could be reloaded and shot again with no problems.
Regards, LJ
Wainer

Wads

Post by Wainer »

So I guess I will have to try both a .030 fiber and a poly and see what happens? Thanks, Don
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Just out of curiosity, what is the diameter of your bullet and barrel groove? the reason I ask is if the bullet is over sized, say .459-60 and barrel is tight like on some of the imports, I had one that was .4565 your bullet will get what I call fining were the bullet wall gets pushed back and looks like a cup base. Or your cases are short and the bullet files the in between the case mouth and troth and that will get pushed back the bullet base. Kind of like sizing an oversized bullet with a under sized nose punch.
Or I don’t know were you recovered the bullet from, when the bullet mushrooms out the outside walls at times will get pushed back and you will see a cup type of a base.
Kurt
granute

Post by granute »

My 45 2.6" uses 20:1 mix and I've tried the 060 poly wads a few times with no great improvement over the .030 vegie wad. Some folks report
major improvements with poly, but I didn't see it.
I don't know what alloy your using, but I would agree with the previous post that whatever your using (or buying) in the way of bullet lead is the
root cause of your problem. It sure sounds like you have lead that has
some antimony in it, and it prevents the bullet slugging up properly.