extra length?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bama boy

extra length?

Post by Bama boy »

I am about to order my shiloh, but there is two more questions I have to ask. Did anybody out there order there sharps with an extra length of pull and if so do they like it. I'm about 6'1" and pretty average in build. Also keep in mind that I am going to hunt with this rifle. If that makes any difference.
And since I am going to have this gun out in the field. Do you recommend having the barrel polished or leave it plain.
Any feedback will help. Thanks.
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

Bambay, I would order what you want. If you need extra length get it. I prefer the polished barrel, but that just me. I think polished barrels make the gun look complete. However, on a hunting rifle the unpolished barrel may be better. Just get what you want.
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
Minnesota AL

length

Post by Minnesota AL »

BB,

Most people shoot these things with the aid of a magnum strap on recoil pad on their shoulder. That adds about 3/4" during regular practice. A cold weather hunting jacket should have the same effect.

Most folks also wear a brimmed hat to keep from having the tang sight hit them in the face or eyeglass, so crawling up the stock is probably not much of an issue, the hat brim keeps your head back where it belongs.

Hopefully, some 6'+ shooters can comment.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822
Lucinda

Post by Lucinda »

Bama Boy,

Our standard length of pull on the shotgun style buttstock is around 14 to 14 1/4". If you need longer than that, then please specify what length you desire. Remember, length of pull can only be adjusted on the shotgun style buttstock. The polished barrel is strictly a customer preference. Instead of the matte finish, it has a pearl blue look to it.

Lucinda
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Bama, I am 6'4", AND the standard shotgun stock works great for me. I have two of them, and for competition I use one of the Shooter's Friend live rubber slip on butt pads. Works great. Randy
Randy Ruwe
KHR

Post by KHR »

bama,
I have both barrels, I really like the polished barrel better, the gun looks better to me. so if you can afford it, i'd recommend the polished.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Bama,

i am going to have to disagree a small amount with the stock fitting issue. One of the secrets of really good accuracy is a well fitting rifle. If the rifle doesn't fit you, you will "Never" be able to attain the accuracy you could with a fitted stock. Amoungst competition shooters this is a given witness all of the adjustable stocks on target rifles, competition shotguns etc.For my own personal competition rifle I went to a stock fitter and spent the day shooting with an adjustable stock until he determined the correct Length of Pull, cast off and comb height. Comb height is a little tricky as there are rules as to how much height you are allowed. This was the best money I ever spent. it turned out that I needed a long stock, I am a big man at 6ft 3inches and my length of pull ended up at 15 1/8 inches. Much longer than is available in a standered order stock. It is amazing how much difference that added length made.

Now the standered stock on a new Shiloh may just fit you find and dandy. Most folks get be OK with the standered stock. But since you are preparing to make a "Major" firearm purchase for a custom made rifle, my advice is to actually make it a "Custom" made firearm.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Tallperson

Length.

Post by Tallperson »

Hey there Bama Boy I absosultely agree with Gunny . The length of pull make s a great deal of differance. I have a Long Range Express in 45-120 and having the gun fit you correctly improves accuracy by increasing consistent shouldering of the gun. And allows you to absorb the recoil in a more comfortable manner. I am 6-5 and 240 pounds with long arms. I have 15.5 inches on my stock and I use no recoil pad or mercury unit just the standard stock . I donot have the polished barrel since I hunt in Wyo. , Colo. and Neb. and there is a lot of sunshine out here. I just don't want a barrel flash . Do what it takes to make the gun fit you the way you like. Tallperson
45-120 Longrange Express 34" barrel Shoots a long way and hits 'em real hard.
geronimo.tn

Post by geronimo.tn »

I agree with Gunny.
I'm 6' 2" with long arms. When I was a youngster I didn't like shotguns because I was always busting my nose with the thumb over the stock wrist. Was 30 years before I realized the problem was standard stocks are much too short for me.
The Shiloh is the first firearm that was ordered to fit my length of pull ( 15.5"). If you're gonna order a custom firearm, why not order it to fit you.
Still waiting for mine to come in ( 16 Months now) so can't say how well it fits. I also order the standard finish on the barrel as this is a target and hunting rifle.
horsefly

Post by horsefly »

Good morning, Board;

I think I've developed a little man syndrome reading gunny and the others here. I'm only a little over six feet tall, but I wear 17 1/2 sized shirts with 37 inch sleeves when I can find them (I have a lot of short sleeve shirts). This is to preface my remarks about stock length.

I always thought that I need longer stocks than standard, so when I started shooting silhouette, I put a one inch pad on the standard length stock without cutting it. It felt good. I could shoot prone with it just fine. The catch was shooting standing. For standing, I find that I want to get the action closer to me. So... I shoot a standard stock and adapt in the prone.

With the above said, I've shouldered some of gunny's guns and they really do feel good.

Please note, this in not advice. If you can find someone, do what gunny said bacause this stock length thing is not simple and it really does change how the gun feels and performs. And it's a very individual thing.

Y'all be good.

horsefly
Brent

Post by Brent »

FWIW, if the stock is so short that my thumb is less than about 1.25" from my face, all I get out of it, is a good bruising. I added 3/4" to my "standard" crecent buttstock and now that doesn't happen any more.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Bama boy

Post by Bama boy »

Thanks for the advise guys. I think I'll take my favorite smoke pole and rifle shoot them and really pay attention to the pros and cons of both. Then I should be able to take a decent mesurement. I wish I could find someone like gunny, but here in the panhandle of florida there is not a big demand for this type of equipment. If it doesn't have anything to do with sand or tourist people don't support it.
Thanks again.
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Turns out there is someone in your neck of the woods. He goes by Coastrifle on here and I am sure he will help you out if Gulf Breeze, FL is any where near you. I have meet him in person and he is Aces in my book. Send him a PM and see what happens. I am sure he can answer any questions you may have. He is a lurker not a poster but trust me .... he knows ...!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
EwingYoung

Post by EwingYoung »

Does anyone have thoughts on how to go about finding a person with this stock fitting skill in their area? If anyone knows of such a person in the northwest I sure would appreciate it.
KAF

Pace, FL

Post by KAF »

Bamma,
There is a

PM with info for a guy in Pace is waiting for you.